**2021-2022 Iowa Basketball Season Thread**

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
Fran will eventually break through, just like he did this year in the BTT. Anyone that doesn't want him around if an absolute fucking moron.

We are lucky as shit to have him.
That’ll preach

I’ll add that if Fran puts the same emphasis on 1-2 recruiting that he does the 3-5, things will change very very quickly. He has a phenomenal eye for talent with the bigs. The average Iowa fan likely has no idea how many ultra successful college players Fran was in on very early (and late at that) in their recruitment

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score
That’ll preach

I’ll add that if Fran puts the same emphasis on 1-2 recruiting that he does the 3-5, things will change very very quickly. He has a phenomenal eye for talent with the bigs. The average Iowa fan likely has no idea how many ultra successful college players Fran was in on very early (and late at that) in their recruitment
Was he the first to offer holmgren?

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Reaction score
That’ll preach

Amen

Reaction score
Shaka Smart is an interesting case for the can/can’t coach in the tournament narrative. His last six trips he’s lost in the first round as a 9, 3, 10, 6, 7 and 5. Before that he lost as a 5 2nd round and a 12 2nd round. First trip he went play-in game to Final Four.

So he was an incredible tournament coach his first two years but completely forgot how to do it the last 9 years and has drastically underachieved.

WCFHawkeye

actually likes the XFL
Reaction score
Not the same because he never made the Sweet 16, but Brad Underwood, who many consider a good coach, took 3 different teams to the tournament, is 2-6 in it.

Two first round losses, 4 second round losses.

Last edited:

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
This may also be a captain obvious type thing, but whenever people point out someone's record in the context of a single elimination tournament, it always strikes me as somewhat misleading, because we still act like .500 is the barometer for average.

Like in a season, at the beginning of a season you have the opportunity to play all of your scheduled games. But in the context of a tournament, you do not. In a 64 team tournament, sure there are 63 losses and 63 wins. But they're not evenly distributed amount teams. The team that wins has 6 wins and 0 losses. There are 32 teams that go 0-1, and another 16 that go 1-1. You have to regularly advance to the third round, or in other words be a top 25 percentile team to accumulate a winning record over time. And then a single good run has a disproportionate impact on your "record".

Look at Fran in the BTT. Prior to this year, he was I think 5-10 in the BTT. That's terrible, right? A .333 winning percentage. In one run now, he's 9-10. So is he all of a sudden a dramatically better coach in the BTT 12 years in?

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Again, captain obvious. It just always annoys me when someone points out something like "QB is 4-6 in the post-season" as though that's a bad thing.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
What a stupid premise for an article. Of course a team statistically performs worse than its season average when the analyzed sample is fucking losses against presumably better than average teams.
Yeah, but if they scored more points or allowed fewer points than those teams they would have won.

Will McCoy

Douchebag
Reaction score
Compared to our conference, 8 of the 13 other programs are clearly better since 2000 (more NCAA apps and sweet 16 apps). A 9th team (Penn St) has made the S16 more recently, albeit 2001.
All 8 programs have a minimum of 4 S16 apps since our last visit in 99.

We deserve a run and are overdue

special mention: fuck Wisconsin and their consistency. They are right behind MSU.

Fwiw peace Matt rodgers

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Again, captain obvious. It just always annoys me when someone points out something like "QB is 4-6 in the post-season" as though that's a bad thing.
I demand championships so this logic does not apply to my coach.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
As of right now....

Bowen / Toussaint / Ulis
Perkins / Dix
Patrick / Sandfart
Kris Murray / Connor
Rebecca / Ogundele / Mulvey

The biggest issue I can see is how is Fran going to get a transfer worth a shit? He's a loyal guy and doesn't promise things, so looking at that roster I don't see where there is a starting position open unless Fran tells Rebecca he is coming off the bench. There isn't an impact transfer that is going to come without a strong indication they are going to start or play a ton.

If you have Connor back (which I am not a fan of), then it really clogs things up even more.

You are looking at basically last years team with a less reliable Murray and a true freshman guard that could be good, another true freshman that is coming off a devastating injury and a couple bigs that didn't look remotely close to being able to contribute at a Big Ten level.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
I would feel much better if a few months from now the roster looked like this....

Bowen / Toussaint / Connor
Perkins / Dix
Patrick / Sandfart
Kris Murray / Aidan Shaw
Impact Big Transfer / Rebecca / Mulvey

kenos

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I'm calling Shaw to Arkansas.

Get a transfer wing, Fran.

B19Rob

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
As of right now....

Bowen / Toussaint / Ulis
Perkins / Dix
Patrick / Sandfart
Kris Murray / Connor
Rebecca / Ogundele / Mulvey

The biggest issue I can see is how is Fran going to get a transfer worth a shit? He's a loyal guy and doesn't promise things, so looking at that roster I don't see where there is a starting position open unless Fran tells Rebecca he is coming off the bench. There isn't an impact transfer that is going to come without a strong indication they are going to start or play a ton.

If you have Connor back (which I am not a fan of), then it really clogs things up even more.

You are looking at basically last years team with a less reliable Murray and a true freshman guard that could be good, another true freshman that is coming off a devastating injury and a couple bigs that didn't look remotely close to being able to contribute at a Big Ten level.
Agree with all of this. Connor's eight game stretch from Penn St. to NW was fun, but he was awful offensively the other 26 games. Only scored 33 pts and was 6-39 from 3 in those 26 games. He went through senior night, he needs to leave.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
He kinda regressed back to the mean the last couple games of the year

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Toussaint will start over Bowen as much as I don’t want him to.
To start the year, no doubt. I would hope Bowen's playing time grows, but it's easy to see Touissaint staying the starter all year even if the playing time mix doesn't reflect that.

Fran is pretty loyal to his guys, and that's one of the reasons his players pretty much universally love him.

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Reaction score

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Reaction score
With Shaw saying he’s likely going to go somewhere he already has a relationship with, it’d be malpractice to forego 3-4 years of Shaw for 1 year of Connor.

Priority numero uno is improving the 5 spot. I think we’d all like Rebecca a lot more if she was coming off the bench.

The Tin Man

Reaction score
The problem with Connor staying is that you can’t play both him and Pat at the same time without losing production at both ends. That forces Fran to start one of them. It used to be Connor, it is now Pat. I’d like to hope Pat continues to develop, but I see more upside with Sandfart. You get better rebounding, better outside shooting, while eliminating the stagnant offensive flow resulting from over dribbling to nowhere. Kris should have been getting more of Pat’s minutes this year as well.

I’d like to see:

Bowen / JoeT / Ulis
SaucyT / Dix / Kingsbury?
Sandfart / Patrick / Transfer
Kris Murray / Sandfart / Transfer
Becky / Transfer / Ogundele / Mulvey

I also think pairing JoeT and Patrick on the second line works well. Ultimately they need another wing, and a power forward or center from the transfer portal. Hopefully Fran can get it done.