***2024-2025 Iowa Men’s Basketball Season Thread***

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,646
Reaction score
-14,440
I do not like Brock Harding and think his playing major minutes is arguably the biggest problem currently. He dribbles way too much. Gets turnover happy and is not good on D. I think they should put Traore in for rebounding/D/athleticism with the main lineup like suggested above and I think Camel said something similar in chat during a recent game.
 

Monster

Guaranteed Proctor Would Play For Iowa
Joined
Sep 20, 2007
Messages
109,970
Reaction score
-3,642
I do not like Brock Harding and think his playing major minutes is arguably the biggest problem currently. He dribbles way too much. Gets turnover happy and is not good on D. I think they should put Traore in for rebounding/D/athleticism with the main lineup like suggested above and I think Camel said something similar in chat during a recent game.
I can't believe I'm here defending Harding but I think he's yet another example of a player who fans decided he sucks early on and now nothing he does will change that. First, I also want Traore to play more. Just want to get that out. Harding averages 25 mins a game - less than starter minutes. He's 9th in turnovers but 4th in assists and 8th in steals. Shoots nearly 40% from 3. He's shown great improvement in his 2nd year and will continue to improve. Yes, not great defensively but that can be said about several Iowa players as Fran is a shitty defensive coach. I'm just saying that AGAIN he's not the main problem here (certainly on the list) but a convenient whipping boy as he was forced into action last year and looked really bad much of the time. The main problem is Fran imo. Harding would be a nice 15-20 mins per game player off the bench.

I'll proceed fucking myself now. Need to stretch first.
 

Brad Wesley

Member
Joined
Aug 13, 2020
Messages
5,752
Reaction score
5,555
I’m on the fence with Fran. Most years he recruits and plays guys that are nice pieces but rarely have a guy that can consistently get his own shot and take over a game.

He has some talent coming in next year. If he could find a real Big Ten point guard they could be upper tier of the conference and the fans would return.

I realize that Fran getting a real PG is a long shot.
 

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Joined
Sep 29, 2014
Messages
12,089
Reaction score
3,151
I’m on the fence with Fran. Most years he recruits and plays guys that are nice pieces but rarely have a guy that can consistently get his own shot and take over a game.

He has some talent coming in next year. If he could find a real Big Ten point guard they could be upper tier of the conference and the fans would return.

I realize that Fran getting a real PG is a long shot.
None of that is going to happen
 

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
97,960
Reaction score
37,300
I don’t think fans return - especially for Fran - in a meaningful way without real tournament success. I don’t think that’s going to happen for him.
 

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Joined
Mar 31, 2012
Messages
45,921
Reaction score
62,609
I’m on the fence with Fran. Most years he recruits and plays guys that are nice pieces but rarely have a guy that can consistently get his own shot and take over a game.

He has some talent coming in next year. If he could find a real Big Ten point guard they could be upper tier of the conference and the fans would return.

I realize that Fran getting a real PG is a long shot.
He. Does. Not. Coach. Defense.
 

Jim Tebow

Proud Supporter of Bluder's Bunch
Joined
Feb 10, 2015
Messages
437
Reaction score
126
Missed several front ends of 1 and 1s fown the stretch. Deserved to lose that game last night. Baffling that traore is not played more.

Josh lewis is great i guess. But will be more of the same next year. Unless fran somehow corrals a legit point guard.
 

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,016
Reaction score
10,786
I can't believe I'm here defending Harding but I think he's yet another example of a player who fans decided he sucks early on and now nothing he does will change that. First, I also want Traore to play more. Just want to get that out. Harding averages 25 mins a game - less than starter minutes. He's 9th in turnovers but 4th in assists and 8th in steals. Shoots nearly 40% from 3. He's shown great improvement in his 2nd year and will continue to improve. Yes, not great defensively but that can be said about several Iowa players as Fran is a shitty defensive coach. I'm just saying that AGAIN he's not the main problem here (certainly on the list) but a convenient whipping boy as he was forced into action last year and looked really bad much of the time. The main problem is Fran imo. Harding would be a nice 15-20 mins per game player off the bench.

I'll proceed fucking myself now. Need to stretch first.
I think you misconstrued the point I was making about Harding. I agree he’s almost the perfect backup point guard. Unfortunately, Fran has determined that he is the starting pg. Subbing him back in with 4 minutes left almost cost Iowa the game.

Traore is equally as bad on defense. But what he can add on the glass offsets that. If he got more comfortable he could impact the game the same way Tony Perkins did when Iowa won the BTT.

I don’t hate Harding, he adds way more than Ladji and Pryce IMO, but neither one of those guys play as important of a position as Brock.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,144
Reaction score
1,542
I can't believe I'm here defending Harding but I think he's yet another example of a player who fans decided he sucks early on and now nothing he does will change that. First, I also want Traore to play more. Just want to get that out. Harding averages 25 mins a game - less than starter minutes. He's 9th in turnovers but 4th in assists and 8th in steals. Shoots nearly 40% from 3. He's shown great improvement in his 2nd year and will continue to improve. Yes, not great defensively but that can be said about several Iowa players as Fran is a shitty defensive coach. I'm just saying that AGAIN he's not the main problem here (certainly on the list) but a convenient whipping boy as he was forced into action last year and looked really bad much of the time. The main problem is Fran imo. Harding would be a nice 15-20 mins per game player off the bench.

I'll proceed fucking myself now. Need to stretch first.
It seems like most people here have recognized that Harding is much, much better this year, while still lacking what we are looking for in a starting point guard.
 

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
29,373
Reaction score
30,316
Harding is a poor shooter, and defender. He can create but he can also destroy the flow on offense. The flow part would be tolerable is he could guard or make free throws down the stretch.
 

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
97,960
Reaction score
37,300
Harding will always be highly susceptible to being physically overwhelmed. It’s just who he is and always will be, especially with Fran’s S&C “program”
 

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Joined
May 1, 2016
Messages
49,614
Reaction score
35,062
Too often our offense is head fake and dribble around side to side for 15 seconds while everyone else stands watching.
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,873
Reaction score
3,123
That and he’s a midget.
 

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Dec 30, 2017
Messages
4,567
Reaction score
4,489
It's a good point about traore also not being necessarily good on defense. Iowa basketball!!

How about Riley fucking mulvey though, pure effort. I would play him any time freeman is on the bench.
 

Monster

Guaranteed Proctor Would Play For Iowa
Joined
Sep 20, 2007
Messages
109,970
Reaction score
-3,642
Harding is a poor shooter, and defender. He can create but he can also destroy the flow on offense. The flow part would be tolerable is he could guard or make free throws down the stretch.
40% from 3.

So he destroys the flow on the #1 offense in the country?
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,873
Reaction score
3,123
40% from 3.
He’s improved his 3pt shooting from last year. He just can’t finish at the rim which is a problem for him.

He's actually looking to drive and kick most of the time but when wing defenders don’t dig when he drives he’s forced to make a play. Or do the maddening pivot-in-the-lane.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,144
Reaction score
1,542
Harding is a poor shooter, and defender. He can create but he can also destroy the flow on offense. The flow part would be tolerable is he could guard or make free throws down the stretch.
He doesn’t have to be a poor shooter. He is much more selective from the outside, and shooting 40% there on the year. He just gets himself into trouble because he is athletic enough to get into the paint but nowhere near big or strong enough to finish with any consistency.

His improvement from three-point range is encouraging. He needs to spend the next off-season working on nothing but floaters and pull-ups so he can make them at a 50% clip instead of 3.6%.

Defensively there is virtually no hope. He is a midget with a horrible defensive coach.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,144
Reaction score
1,542
It's a good point about traore also not being necessarily good on defense. Iowa basketball!!

How about Riley fucking mulvey though, pure effort. I would play him any time freeman is on the bench.
Multiple times, riley boxed his guy out and moved them out of position, which is something I’ve never seen freeman do lol

Freeman is pretty good though. He just takes a beating on this board because there’s so much more potential there.
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,873
Reaction score
3,123
He doesn’t have to be a poor shooter. He is much more selective from the outside, and shooting 40% there on the year. He just gets himself into trouble because he is athletic enough to get into the paint but nowhere near big or strong enough to finish with any consistency.

His improvement from three-point range is encouraging. He needs to spend the next off-season working on nothing but floaters and pull-ups so he can make them at a 50% clip instead of 3.6%.

Defensively there is virtually no hope. He is a midget with a horrible defensive coach.
Fuck you.
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,873
Reaction score
3,123
He doesn’t have to be a poor shooter. He is much more selective from the outside, and shooting 40% there on the year. He just gets himself into trouble because he is athletic enough to get into the paint but nowhere near big or strong enough to finish with any consistency.

His improvement from three-point range is encouraging. He needs to spend the next off-season working on nothing but floaters and pull-ups so he can make them at a 50% clip instead of 3.6%.

Defensively there is virtually no hope. He is a midget with a horrible defensive coach.
Love you.
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,873
Reaction score
3,123
There is a time and place for a floater. But the floater replaced the in the lane pull up bc guys are too fucking lazy.
 

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
22,600
Reaction score
4,432
Harding's problem isn't that he isn't a good shooter, it's that he's a hesitant shooter.

Even acknowledging that he is shooting more this year, he is still passing up open shots in order to pump and drive into a bad spot. Just let it fly.

He wants to drive and dump it down to Freeman, but since he's not really able to finish, the post defender is never made to leave his man, then he's stuck.
 

The Dad

Legitimately bald forever and stupid looking
Joined
Mar 31, 2012
Messages
45,921
Reaction score
62,609
Every player on this team has 2 legs, 2 arms and is relatively fit. There is no excuse for them to be this fucking bad defensively. PSU’s last 2 possessions yielded virtually uncontested looks to win the game.

It’s a choice to be this bad.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,243
Reaction score
27,865
It's a good point about traore also not being necessarily good on defense. Iowa basketball!!

How about Riley fucking mulvey though, pure effort. I would play him any time freeman is on the bench.
Riley Mulvey is a good basketball player. He's smart, knows positioning on defense, gives effort, does his part in pick and roll and reads coverages well.

He's getting everything he can out of his limited physical tools and should play more.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,144
Reaction score
1,542
There is a time and place for a floater. But the floater replaced the in the lane pull up bc guys are too fucking lazy.
Or because you can get it off way faster and from various angles,m, which is somewhatimportant when you are a midget
 

Fritz Fequiere

something feels off when he has sex with his wife.
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
2,227
Reaction score
-1,131
You can’t have the top of your defense be as weak as it is with Harding in there for extended periods of time. Maybe some big ten games they can get away with it but not most.
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,873
Reaction score
3,123
Or because you can get it off way faster and from various angles,m, which is somewhatimportant when you are a midget
But it’s a low percentage shot idc how much you fucking work on it.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,144
Reaction score
1,542
Guys like Trae Young have incorporated it into an all-around game.

He’s on the roster and playing a lot. They have to figure out how to make him more productive.
 

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Dec 30, 2017
Messages
4,567
Reaction score
4,489
Braden Smith is listed as the same 6' flat as Harding and is a potential all American.
 

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Joined
Jan 9, 2015
Messages
2,382
Reaction score
832
Braden Smith is listed as the same 6' flat as Harding and is a potential all American.
He is taller than Harding IMO and also looks to have about a seven foot wingspan. He plays like a 6'3" or 6'4" guard with those monkey arms.
 
Top