Do you want Fran to stay or go?

Do you want Fran to stay or go?

• Total voters

Will McCoy

Douchebag
Reaction score
Their fan base has been consistently better across several coaches and through down periods. The programs have been pretty similar overall. They’ve had more down years than you think. KenPom ranks Iowa 40th in program rankings since 1997, ISU 46. 8 losing seasons in that time to 5 for Iowa.

They’ve had one more tournament. The crazy thing is 5 different coaches have been to 1 S16.
I don’t know if any program matches that. No one has been to more than one and they’ve had bad upset losses sprinkled throughout along with droughts. They went from 2002-2012 making it once then Hoiberg came.
That’s because they’re a blue blood.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
As the year has progressed I have been much more optimistic about this recruiting class.

i dont think Pryce will be as good as Payton, but he’s still a consensus top 100 shooter.

freeman had offers from most of the conference and lived up to expectations

Harding is going to be a star and is the type of player that drives fan engagement and will immediately be hated by the other team. If he had a better tan he would be a top 100 player and viewed as the PG hasn’t had yet.

I haven’t heard much on Dembele but he had good offers and is rated highly.

Reaction score
All this was presented in the context of fans not fully buying into the product. And in that context yes, the tournament matters. The lack of sweet 16 complaint is thrown around on this board constantly.
2016 we were ranked 4th in the country in mid-February. We won a tournament game the year before (first time in 15 years) with that Aaron White team that finished strong. Exciting style, no scandals. We had maybe 10,000 fans for a Sunday game with Minnesota with no bad weather. Because 6:00 or whatever wasn’t an ideal start time for a Sunday.

It’s always something.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Yeah, I kind of blew off the idea of Auburn getting a game in Birmingham, but holy shit was that crowd in their favor. Granted it is partially because a lot of our fans are currently in Iowa city.

B19Rob

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I think the hardest part about Fran is 12 years of Gesell / bohannon / Connor / Clemmons / Toussaint / Ulis. College is 100000% a guards game, and Fran has had rotten luck with finding guards that elevate his team. It's super fucking weird given that at Sienna he was known for having tough athletic guards that helped him beat teams like Ohio State in the tournament.

Then he gets to Iowa and he can't recruit a complete guard. If they are athletic, then they can't shoot. If they can shoot, they aren't athletic and pretty much none of them could figure out how to play defense against a wet paper bag and stop penetration.

Every other position Fran has gotten and developed wonderful players. Wieskamp/Jok at SG. Marble at SF. White / Uthoff / Cook / Keegan / Kris at PF and of course Garza at C.

It's all about the PG position that has fucked him, and unless Bowen wakes up and the Moline kid turns into the Purdue freshman from this year, that isn't changing anytime soon.
Two years ago there was a tough athletic guard transferring out of Siena. Not sure if Fran ever contacted him, but holy shit Jalen Pickett would have been a culture changer for this team.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
Also, get rid of your fucking children from the program. No more for the love of fuck.

Unless somehow Jack is awesome.
Even if Jack is somehow awesome, I don’t want him on the team. Go be somehow awesone somewhere else.
Fran still won’t be able to coach him objectively and rationally. It’s impossible

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
I don’t want to devolve this into an Iowa State thread but there are a lot of advantages that they have regarding weeknight games that Iowa doesn’t - it’s very easy to park, easy to get to, the majority of their fanbase are incels so they don’t have kids, etc

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Even if Jack is somehow awesome, I don’t want him on the team. Go be somehow awesone somewhere else.
Fran still won’t be able to coach him objectively and rationally. It’s impossible
I agree. Unless the kid is going to be the star or a walk-on, you get a situation like the current one.

ivan_drago

Reaction score
“I don’t want a good player,” is a take.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
2016 we were ranked 4th in the country in mid-February. We won a tournament game the year before (first time in 15 years) with that Aaron White team that finished strong. Exciting style, no scandals. We had maybe 10,000 fans for a Sunday game with Minnesota with no bad weather. Because 6:00 or whatever wasn’t an ideal start time for a Sunday.

It’s always something.
Lack of March success. That’s the something.

ivan_drago

Reaction score
The student checked out years ago, and it's hard to get that back. A good student section would cover a lot of worts.
giving them the shittiest seats at the exact same time you hired Todd The Criminal is a door you can’t walk back through.

ivan_drago

Reaction score
Would you trade making the tourney every year for a deep run once every 20?

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
“I don’t want a good player,” is a take.
Find a different good player that you’re not related to. Recruiting your child stops you from looking for someone better.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
Find a different good player that you’re not related to. Recruiting your child stops you from looking for someone better.
I dont believe that if Connor and Patrick were never born, we’d be unlikely to have better players on the team right now.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
The idea that the trade off of making fewer tournaments would be making deeper runs is really something.

The real question is this. Does uncertainty (a new coach) give Iowa a better chance at success than the current one, who has a proven record of making the tournament.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
The idea that the trade off of making fewer tournaments would be making deeper runs is really something.

The real question is this. Does uncertainty (a new coach) give Iowa a better chance at success than the current one, who has a proven record of making the tournament.
I took that as more of a theoretical thought exercise and less of a belief there is an actual trade off.

Hawk&Balls

NOT a member
Reaction score
Frans been here 13-14 years? That's a long time in coaching to be at one place. Don't know wnt to see him go, but wouldn't be sad if he left on his own.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
My final thing on this, for the day at least, is I fucking just want one time to make it to the second weekend with Fran. College basketball is a truly shitty product 95% of the year and the one time it is any fun and worth watching is the first 2 weekends. It's now been since 1998 or whatever that Iowa blows their wad and is knocked out of the tournament by Sunday or just sucks and they don't make it at all and I have zero desire to watch any of the games after that.

It would be fun to actually want to follow the NCAA Tournament for a couple of weeks and have the dream that with a single win Iowa would be heading to the Elite 8 and chance at the Final 4. That is why the Sweet 16 is so desired, it's the possibility that if things just fall your way that you could be getting a real shot at making a run at Final 4.

Those dorks at Iowa State have gotten that feeling like 5 times now recently. It sucks to have essentially never had it.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Frans been here 13-14 years? That's a long time in coaching to be at one place. Don't know wnt to see him go, but wouldn't be sad if he left on his own.
As of next year he will be the longest consecutively tenured coach in Iowa basketball history at 14 years.

ivan_drago

Reaction score
My final thing on this, for the day at least, is I fucking just want one time to make it to the second weekend with Fran. College basketball is a truly shitty product 95% of the year and the one time it is any fun and worth watching is the first 2 weekends. It's now been since 1998 or whatever that Iowa blows their wad and is knocked out of the tournament by Sunday or just sucks and they don't make it at all and I have zero desire to watch any of the games after that.

It would be fun to actually want to follow the NCAA Tournament for a couple of weeks and have the dream that with a single win Iowa would be heading to the Elite 8 and chance at the Final 4. That is why the Sweet 16 is so desired, it's the possibility that if things just fall your way that you could be getting a real shot at making a run at Final 4.

Those dorks at Iowa State have gotten that feeling like 5 times now recently. It sucks to have essentially never had it.
I agree -but the same dumbfucks who want him gone would say shit like “see, this should be every year.” Dochterman said he’s still out on Fran even if they made a run. There is nothing short of winning a national title (LOL!) that he could do to win some fucking idiots over.

douglasbader

Reaction score
I agree -but the same dumbfucks who want him gone would say shit like “see, this should be every year.” Dochterman said he’s still out on Fran even if they made a run. There is nothing short of winning a national title (LOL!) that he could do to win some fucking idiots over.
Docterman said he is "out" on Fran? What the fuck does that even mean?

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
My God we’re spinning in circles here.
Exciting type of basketball…check
Competitive in the big ten…check
Making the Ncaa tournament…check
Exciting/great individual players…check

Maybe just try making the second weekend a time or two and see if that brings in more fans. I bet it does.

ivan_drago

Reaction score
Docterman said he is "out" on Fran? What the fuck does that even mean?
Paraphrasing but said he wants to move on and even a deep run wouldn’t change it.

Ask an intelligent question was not aimed at him, FYI. It was Michael Admire from WHO.

Fritz Fequiere

Has a Master's from ISU worth millions
Reaction score
I only want Fran gone if it’s for sure Devries. Otherwise I don’t know who they could get.

Devries is proven in my mind because he’s developed some pretty high end guys that nobody else wanted out of high school. Also has a hawk legend for a brother and would likely retain the incoming recruits due to them having a relationship with Gatens.

Oh and his kid would be the best player on the team next year and give me hope they could make the tournament.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Fran can’t be fired right now, or after next year. He has been great at teaching and developing skill, and that should be valued at Iowa. I sure as shit want him to change his defensive approach.

Also, if Fran leaves and they are able to get Devries, I would be pretty happy about that.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Also, the fanbase is fine. The arena is a pain in the ass to get to and with late or early start times you basically have to live within a 30 minute drive and not have kids to go to most of the games.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
Also, the fanbase is fine. The arena is a pain in the ass to get to and with late or early start times you basically have to live within a 30 minute drive and not have kids to go to most of the games.
I am hoping my sketch earlier in the season made its way to the athletic department. Parking is truly a nightmare, my vehicle does not move for an hour after home games.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
I only want Fran gone if it’s for sure Devries. Otherwise I don’t know who they could get.

Devries is proven in my mind because he’s developed some pretty high end guys that nobody else wanted out of high school. Also has a hawk legend for a brother and would likely retain the incoming recruits due to them having a relationship with Gatens.

Oh and his kid would be the best player on the team next year and give me hope they could make the tournament.
Lol at being worried about iowa making the tournament next year

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
it’s almost like our fanbase doesn’t understand that the best way to make a deep run in the tournament is to get into the tournament as many times as possible.
Yeah, sure, after 13 years it's just that Fran has been super unlucky. Probably has nothing to do with not being able to attract the type of player who can make shots when it actually matters. We should just give him as much time as he needs to let the variance work itself out.

douglasbader

Reaction score
Yeah, sure, after 13 years it's just that Fran has been super unlucky. Probably has nothing to do with not being able to attract the type of player who can make shots when it actually matters. We should just give him as much time as he needs to let the variance work itself out.
How did your Wisconsin Badgers do this year, Fritz? Are they enjoying the NIT?

Fritz Fequiere

Reaction score
How did your Wisconsin Badgers do this year, Fritz? Are they enjoying the NIT?
Are you referring to the 6 Sweet Sixteens, 2 Final Fours, and 1 National Championship Game in the last 13 years Wisconsin Badgers?

The program that'll probably run their coach off next year if they don't have some success in the tournament? Is this who you're talking about?

douglasbader

Reaction score
Are you referring to the 6 Sweet Sixteens, 2 Final Fours, and 1 National Championship Game in the last 13 years Wisconsin Badgers?

The program that'll probably run their coach off next year if they don't have some success in the tournament? Is this who you're talking about?
No, I was talking about the losers that are in the NIT this year. The team with the style of play you can't get enough of.