Iowa State Football Bashing Thread

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Reaction score
Prior to that even, Brian rubbed a lot of people the wrong way. Perhaps he can make all that go away if Kirk sticks around for another 5 years or so, Brian demonstrates maturity and similar traits as his father, and the program has continued success.
That's the issue imo. Brian runs a bit hotter than his Dad in many respects and has created some baggage for himself whether deserved or not.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
I hope Iowa hires the coach with the best resume because it's a multi-million dollar D1 coaching job, not a family business.

If his name was Brian Smith we'd all be openly scoffing at the idea that he would get the job.
I agree, but I think age is a resume component. Phil and Mark Stoops both have amazing resumes, but pretty short potential fuses in a best case scenario.

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
I agree, but I think age is a resume component. Phil and Mark Stoops both have amazing resumes, but pretty short potential fuses in a best case scenario.
That's fine, but that just means opening the search up, not giving it to Brian.

Programs as big as USC have fucked themselves by limiting themselves to hiring "program guys" for their coaching vacancies. I'd be livid if Iowa limited their coaching search to candidates who have issued from the previous coach's penus.

ivan_drago

Fiercely Advocated for Unlimited Transfers
Reaction score
I hope Iowa hires the coach with the best resume because it's a multi-million dollar D1 coaching job, not a family business.

If his name was Brian Smith we'd all be openly scoffing at the idea that he would get the job.
Come on. If you’re gonna use a generic name, use something believable. You know, like “Greg Davis.”

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
Knowing what you know about hot names w/resumes, like PJ Fleck, Scott Frost, Terry Allen, Matt Campbell, etc. Brian doesn't really sound that bad. Now, if you are talking Luke Fickell, Bob Stoops or someone like that, then let's see what happens

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
I think the role of College Football Head Coach has changed pretty dramatically in the last 2 decades. It’s far less about X’s and O’s then it was with previous generations.

FrodoTBaggin

Balding and Demands Accuracy
Reaction score
Keeping it "in the Hawkeye family" with a guy that would likely stay for another 20 years as his dream job is more important at Iowa than finding the hottest current name, imo. I really don't think it's a coincidence that Iowa football has taken a step forward in the past 7 years. Woods is definitely intriguing. I think it'll be Brian at some point and that's a good thing.

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score
Keeping it "in the Hawkeye family" with a guy that would likely stay for another 20 years as his dream job is more important at Iowa than finding the hottest current name, imo. I really don't think it's a coincidence that Iowa football has taken a step forward in the past 7 years. Woods is definitely intriguing. I think it'll be Brian at some point and that's a good thing.
I haven't always been, but I'm on-board with this now

Jim

Enjoys Birding
Reaction score
The same should be said for hiring another team’s Special Teams Coordinator to be the next Moon Family Head Coach.

Will McCoy

Douchebag
Reaction score
On top of the fact you lose like 22-24 starters…your in state rival is going to be really fucking good…again. This was the year if there ever was one to start changing the narrative
Oh the narrative was changed. It was a false.

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
This is a really bad article in so many ways

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Because Sean Clifford got hurt. Kirk Ferentz’s devil magic reigned supreme and the fans at Kinnick Stadium stomped on Penn State’s on-field graves despite being favored and the higher-ranked team at home.

Welcome back into the purgatory of close, Penn State. The folks in Iowa City are unfortunately awfully good at putting us back in this dreadful place.

C63D45A5-814F-4A5D-8DFA-367415A9A7B0.gif

Greg Obrecht

Reaction score
So, whether this is true or not, these Twitter accounts see one thing tweeted and it becomes gospel.

Brad Wesley

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Williams made the point that Iowa is really benefiting from the free Covid year, and guys not going into the draft. Of course Ross couldn’t be bothered to tell him they lost the Big Ten defensive player of the year, starting LT, and starting WRs.

Last edited:

HerkyHopeful

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Woods really intrigues me, especially if Parker and/or Wallace stay
That's where I'm at. Former player and worked his way up on the staff, succeeding in every role he's been given. High school coaches in the state know and respect him.

He understands the CULTURE!#&$#"!

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score

Because Brian Smith doesn’t understand the culture of what it takes to be successful here.

Renegade_ofFunk

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
That's where I'm at. Former player and worked his way up on the staff, succeeding in every role he's been given. High school coaches in the state know and respect him.

He understands the CULTURE!#&$#"!
Woods would be a great hire.

newsbreaker

Got the top grade in his torts class
Reaction score
Close? They aren’t that close. They lost multiple games last year, beat a bad team that got COVID’d into the Fiesta Bowl, and are extremely average this year. The football world has already decided our win in Ames is no longer impressive.

They’re close in the way about 40 programs are “close.”

Iowa, on the other hand, is close. Very, very close.

Dolomitey

McCarthyist fuck
Reaction score
They were close to making it into October before no longer being an impressive win on Iowa’s schedule.

TH1974

Loves China
Reaction score
Close? They aren’t that close. They lost multiple games last year, beat a bad team that got COVID’d into the Fiesta Bowl, and are extremely average this year. The football world has already decided our win in Ames is no longer impressive.

They’re close in the way about 40 programs are “close.”

Iowa, on the other hand, is close. Very, very close.
Yeah, but they're closer than Penn State is, for sure.

Alan Lomax

has listened to a podcast about this thread.
Reaction score
Williams made the point that Iowa is really benefiting from the free Covid year, and guys not going into the draft. Of course Ross couldn’t be bothered to tell him they lost the Big Ten defensive player of the year, starting LT, and starting WRs.
Oh nos, they are benefiting from a thing that everyone else in the nation got because their coaches are better. What a terrible thing!

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
Has there ever been a preseason Top 10 team that is more anonymous as we reach mid October? How depressing is this in terms of national or even local attention?
  • Played FCS UNI in a game that was not televised and won 16-10, holding off UNI on the final drive.
  • GameDay comes to town, makes fun of them, followed by an ass-kicking from their only rival in a game the fans and coach quit on early in the 4th quarter.
  • Play possibly the worst FBS team in the country in a game that started at 9:30 in their home region, 10:30 ET on CBS Sports Network, which most people probably don't know they have.
  • Play Baylor on Fox regional and get beat.
  • Play the worst P% team, possibly of all time in a 6:00 PM time slot.
  • Bye Week.