Smart turns down Illinois

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,390
Reaction score
52,361
There were reports last night that Illinois might be willing to offer Smart something north of 3 mil a year, which would be about 2.5 times what he is making now, and he still told them to GFT.
 

Kerky

Does Not Return His Shopping Cart
Joined
Oct 22, 2007
Messages
17,111
Reaction score
3,871
This really not all that surprising imo.

He is making a good buck at a place he loves with just as much opportunity as most places to compete at a high level and play deep into the tourney.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,390
Reaction score
52,361
I think he'll eventually leave, but he's waiting for an offer from an even better program. I bet if Howland ended up leaving he would take the UCLA job, for example.
 

Match34

Is Not Funny
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
27,958
Reaction score
-15,251
No worries. A quick scan of Twitter tells me that Illini fans didn't want him anyway. :lol:
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,390
Reaction score
52,361
They should throw some money at Marquette's coach.

Edit: Nevermind. He's a dogshit recruiter.
 
Last edited:
Joined
Apr 23, 2011
Messages
2,909
Reaction score
-795
They should throw some money at Marquette's coach.

Edit: Nevermind. He's a dogshit recruiter.
He's also a huge douche. Epic, epic douche.



My head would explode every time Illinois took the floor with that fat fuck at the helm.
 

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
98,087
Reaction score
37,633
I'm glad Shaka is not coming to Champaign.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,390
Reaction score
52,361
Carmody with a couple of sleazy black recruiters could win 27 games a year at Illinois.
 

Match34

Is Not Funny
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
27,958
Reaction score
-15,251
Considering the state of Illinois's athletic department, I think it was the Smart move to turn down the job.
 

Match34

Is Not Funny
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
27,958
Reaction score
-15,251
Considering the state of Illinois's athletic department, I think it was the Smart move to turn down the job.
GFY. BoomShakalacka!
No, I made a pun. Get it? Because his last name is Smart, and I also think it was a wise (or smart) move to turn down the job at Illinois. So it has two meanings.
 
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Messages
22,739
Reaction score
-5,043

Match34

Is Not Funny
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
27,958
Reaction score
-15,251

Slidewilly

Independent centrist moderate
Joined
Mar 23, 2010
Messages
8,355
Reaction score
-1,948
I love the mention of Leonard Hamilton as a possibility. Wasn't ole' Lenny somewhat wrapped up in the Fed Ex envelope that went from KY to a top recruit in CA when he was an assistant for Eddie Sutton? And if he wasn't wrapped in that dirt, he probably was wrapped in some other dirt while coaching for KY or OK St. Don't think IL would dive into that pool.

I do freaking love it if it's true that they whiffed on their perfect candidate. I just hope they don't have the good fortune Iowa did to whiff on the bigger names and end up with someone no one had thought of in the first instance, but who turns out to be a great fit for the job.
 
Joined
Sep 30, 2009
Messages
22,739
Reaction score
-5,043
No, I made a pun. Get it? Because his last name is Smart, and I also think it was a wise (or smart) move to turn down the job at Illinois. So it has two meanings.
So did mine.
I think it should have been "Boom Shakalaka" or even "BoomShakalaka". "BoomShakalacka" looks like the name of a summer camp.
Speaking of which, it's been awhile since we've talked Camp Anawanna. Donkey Lips was funny.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,388
Reaction score
28,109
I think the next move would be to go after Gregg Marshall, but not sure they want to grab another pasty white mid-major coach.

My guess is they are going to get someone black and possibly with NBA or high major experience or a sleezy white guy with recruiting skills. Cuonzo Martin, Leonard Hamilton, Josh Pastner, Dwayne Stephens, BRUCE FUCKING PEARL!
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,390
Reaction score
52,361
I REALLY hope they don't get Pastner. I don't think they will, because like Smart I think he's waiting on a better opportunity than that, but he's probably the guy I'm most afraid of them getting.
 

Match34

Is Not Funny
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
27,958
Reaction score
-15,251
So did mine.
I think it should have been "Boom Shakalaka" or even "BoomShakalaka". "BoomShakalacka" looks like the name of a summer camp.
Speaking of which, it's been awhile since we've talked Camp Anawanna. Donkey Lips was funny.
I'm not a huge fan of saltwater taffy. But the fact that I'm a fan of saltwater taffy at all is because of the episode of SYS where they were going to the beach, and Donkey Lips kept making a big deal about how much he loved saltwater taffy.
 
Joined
Aug 27, 2007
Messages
28,581
Reaction score
-6,048
I think the next move would be to go after Gregg Marshall, but not sure they want to grab another pasty white mid-major coach.

My guess is they are going to get someone black and possibly with NBA or high major experience or a sleezy white guy with recruiting skills. Cuonzo Martin, Leonard Hamilton, Josh Pastner, Dwayne Stephens, BRUCE FUCKING PEARL!
Lol, if they hire Bruce Pearl (and I know you are joking) then I am borrowing all the money I can and investing in a state of the art doomsday shelter.
 

HiawathaHawk

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Sep 21, 2010
Messages
14,597
Reaction score
1,867
I REALLY hope they don't get Pastner. I don't think they will, because like Smart I think he's waiting on a better opportunity than that, but he's probably the guy I'm most afraid of them getting.
Meh, Smart would have been a lot scarier than Pastner. Memphis was basically an AAU team this year. He would bring in talent but I think he would get his ass handed to him by Big Ten coaches in games.
 
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
6,003
Reaction score
-1,389
Illinois is a top 20 job, possibly a top 10 job. Fertile recruiting areas all around. Smart has ties to Chicago. This is a slap in the face to Illinois, but also shows that College ball is a different beast now.
 
Joined
Nov 25, 2007
Messages
11,856
Reaction score
-830
Yeah, I hate the Illini as much as the next guy. With that said, it is clearly still a top job in the Big Ten and probably a top 15 job in the country, if not top 10.
 
Joined
Jan 9, 2008
Messages
40,675
Reaction score
-5,574
There are a couple guys on the Nebrantska rivals board that are saying that the Huskers are a bigger sleeping giant in bball compared to Illinois due to fan support and facilities.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,390
Reaction score
52,361
There are a couple guys on the Nebrantska rivals board that are saying that the Huskers are a bigger sleeping giant in bball compared to Illinois due to fan support and facilities.
Retarded. Anybody that really thinks that deserves to die.
 

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
38,567
Reaction score
-6,110
I have never heard anyone say Illinois is a top 10 job in the country. I haven't even heard top 15. No fucking way is it top 10
 

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
22,608
Reaction score
4,444
They should throw some money at Marquette's coach.

Edit: Nevermind. He's a dogshit recruiter.
Looking at Marquette's recruiting classes and I'm not sure what's so dogshit about it. Five top 150 guys from 2011 to 2013.
 

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Joined
Nov 30, 2007
Messages
104,020
Reaction score
-46,793
I have never heard anyone say Illinois is a top 10 job in the country. I haven't even heard top 15. No fucking way is it top 10
If it were a top 10 job they wouldn't have to continually settle for their 4th or 5th option at HC. Weber was 5th option iirc.
 

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
38,567
Reaction score
-6,110
Yes. I believe they went after Crean, Matta (who was still at Xavier) and Mark Few first.

Can't remember who else they talked to.
 
Top