!*!*!*!*THE official Iowa/Illinois basketball thread**** Sunday 3/10 6:00 tip FS1!*!*!*!*!*

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Reaction score
Krikke is an embarrassing rebounder. Have some GD pride.

But going down that rabbit hole, Pat has an unfathomably bad OR%. The only player on the team he's worse than is Harding.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I guarantee if Iowa had beaten Tennessee the year they lost in OT, nobody's opinion would be different now. It's just a canard.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
It's alright. We've got string of Big Ten tourney wins coming

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
Not that I think it was the deciding factor or anything, but it was not really an ideal time for an eight-day layoff.

Reaction score

But going down that rabbit hole, Pat has an unfathomably bad OR%. The only player on the team he's worse than is Harding.
They’re the two worst defenders and rebounders on the roster given their position and size. I thought Krikke would be an offensive upgrade on Rebraca but that disappeared the last month and a half of the season. Rebraca was the much better player.

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Reaction score
What standard is that? If it’s “make the 2nd weekend of the tournament or win a B10 title at least once every 1.4 decades or you’re out” I’m fine with that.
IS THERE NO STANDARD ANYMORE?!?

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
Yes, I’m ready to move on
And apparently a lot of the fanbase is as well, given the current state of apathy. People need something they can get excited about. Franball isn’t it anymore.

Last edited:

Stu Beagle

Has Tiny Onions
Reaction score
If college sports is now just a business, it makes no sense to bring Fran back

SteadyEddy

HaLo Walk-on
Reaction score
Today's kind of a bummer. We were playing really well the last few weeks. Then when we needed to be at our best we laid down an 18 inch coiler
That in essence is the problem with Fran's teams. Anytime they need to win a game worth a damn they don't show up.

It's a good way to create apathy.

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Reaction score

Harding leads the team?

TurdBurgler

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
I feel like what we saw out of Harding was pretty special. Pretty much 0 guards good enough to execute the pick and roll like that at the college level. if his shot making gets better he's a potential POTY candidate.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
I love Fran. He was a huge breath of fresh air and exactly what was needed when he was hired. But 14 years is a long fucking time and he still is essentially the same coach as he was on day one. His flaws are the same. He’s not going to magically change or start doing something different next year. His offense is fun as hell and he’s an incredibly underrated tactician when it comes to damn near everything on offense. But the lack of emphasis on defense, the shitty PGs, the two foul rule, the brutal lineups, the timeout philosophy, etc, etc, etc, are not going to change.

He’s peaked/plateaued at Iowa and it’s honestly been a pretty good run. The tourney results should probably have been better and would have cut him some more slack, but a lot of that is on him too. Sure they didn’t luck into a sweet 16 at any point, but counting on luck isn’t exactly how it should work either.

I’m basically at the same point as I was with Dr. Tom. I appreciate his years as head coach and overall am happy with how things turned out. I’m ready to roll the dice with the next coach and excited about what it could bring. I acknowledge that might mean sucking donkey dick, but it also might mean a step or two forward.

Talkin' Goat

Lothario
Reaction score
I also agree that we can’t really just “fire” him, but finding a way to part ways mutually would obviously be ideal. And maybe without a lame duck year added on would be nice too.

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Reaction score
Kamala is a retard, they aren't going to fire him and he shouldn't and doesn't deserved to be fired.

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
Kamala is a retard, they aren't going to fire him and he shouldn't and doesn't deserved to be fired.
@Kamala may very well be a retard. I also do not think Fran will get fired. But the University has a product to sell, and that product is currently in low demand. They would be justified to bring in someone who will create excitement and fill the seats. Whether or not Fran “deserves” it is irrelevant.

Floyd R

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
Fran should not be fired and should be recognized/celebrated for bringing Iowa basketball back to where they are today.

With that said, his contract runs through the 2027-2028 season. I think it’s fair to let him know next year his contract will not be renewed so he can start looking for his last coaching spot. Give him a thank you bonus and move on.

(I still think Fran bolts before that happens)

Billy Butters

Probably Needs to GFH
Reaction score
There was a point earlier in the year when I was ready to move on but I would rather give Fran one more year with Freeman, Dix, Sandfart, Harding, and see if any of the young guys develop into bigger roles as Fran has done repeatedly. Freeman's ability to block shots and along with the other guys generally having some pride defensively leads me to believe that they could be pretty good.

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Reaction score
There was a point earlier in the year when I was ready to move on but I would rather give Fran one more year with Freeman, Dix, Sandfart, Harding, and see if any of the young guys develop into bigger roles as Fran has done repeatedly. Freeman's ability to block shots and along with the other guys generally having some pride defensively leads me to believe that they could be pretty good.
im fine with this. But I also don’t want to miss on devries because we waited too long.

it’s obvious he’s a good coach.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
He’s had 2 shitty years since he was hired. His first year which wasn’t his fault and Cooks sophomore year.

They do need to figure out how to make the portal work though. They have to be able to do better than Krikke, Rebraca, and Bakari Evelyn. Wisconsins NIL situation can’t be much better and they were able to get AJ Storr.

I’m not anti NIT, but I also don’t see what value it really has for next years team given how many minutes Krikke and Pat consume over younger guys. If they fail to make the tournament, they need to rip the bandaid off this season. Figure out who is staying, who is leaving, then make it known to whoever they need to make it known to behind the scenes what positions you’re looking to fill.

WestMifflin

Traitorous Wisconsinite
Reaction score
He’s had 2 shitty years since he was hired. His first year which wasn’t his fault and Cooks sophomore year.

They do need to figure out how to make the portal work though. They have to be able to do better than Krikke, Rebraca, and Bakari Evelyn. Wisconsins NIL situation can’t be much better and they were able to get AJ Storr.

I’m not anti NIT, but I also don’t see what value it really has for next years team given how many minutes Krikke and Pat consume over younger guys. If they fail to make the tournament, they need to rip the bandaid off this season. Figure out who is staying, who is leaving, then make it known to whoever they need to make it known to behind the scenes what positions you’re looking to fill.
FTR, UW's NIL is in the upper third of the conference. Not the top, but they're doing pretty well in that area. No reason Iowa can't be there too. Honestly most of the NIL money should be retaining the current talent.

Reaction score
@Kamala may very well be a retard. I also do not think Fran will get fired. But the University has a product to sell, and that product is currently in low demand. They would be justified to bring in someone who will create excitement and fill the seats. Whether or not Fran “deserves” it is irrelevant.
They aren't going to bring anyone in who is going to create excitement. Most likely they get Devries or someone just like him and average 8,500 per game instead of 8,000

Kamala

Isn't Sure About Gasser
Reaction score
They aren't going to bring anyone in who is going to create excitement. Most likely they get Devries or someone just like him and average 8,500 per game instead of 8,000
Change brings excitement. People will come to see the new thing. It’s then up to the new coach to build a winner that people want to continue watching. And if he fails to do that or when people get tired of it, you move on again.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
That's a good point, Jared's brother would probably excite the very online, 35 and over crowd, but that is about it.

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
I want him gone specifically so I don’t risk having to watch a third McCaffrey play a bunch of minutes that he doesn’t deserve.

I can understand why Fran wanted to play Conner and Conner certainly gave a fuck and was a bit of a red ass, but it also prevented Fran from recruiting better players at that position.

Patrick on the other hand just sucks at everything. He had miserable body language yesterday and had so all game long, (and most of his career) he's a mopey, no energy, sad sack fuck face. Good riddance.

I wonder if there wasn't raging nepotism his sophomore year and other years and had the Murray's played more if that would have gotten us out of the 2nd round of the tourney. Will never know but hey, patrick got his 1000 points.. yeah!!

Reaction score
Change brings excitement. People will come to see the new thing. It’s then up to the new coach to build a winner that people want to continue watching. And if he fails to do that or when people get tired of it, you move on again.
Attendance went down from ‘07 to ‘08 despite firing a coach that many hated and hiring the national coach of the year off a sweet 16. When we hired Fran it went up about 2K but that was coming of absolute rock bottom in every way to a polar opposite in excitement.

Brad Wesley

Reaction score
Devries would be a good hire if Fran walks. Getting a hire the fan base is “excited” about shouldn’t be a concern as fans aren’t going to consistently attend/return without success on the court. Rick Pitino or whoever might sell a few more tickets early on but sales would quickly plummet without wins.

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Devries would be a good hire if Fran walks. Getting a hire the fan base is “excited” about shouldn’t be a concern as fans aren’t going to consistently attend/return without success on the court. Rick Pitino or whoever might sell a few more tickets early on but sales would quickly plummet without wins.

Define success on the court?

Debit One

Chad
Reaction score
I want him gone specifically so I don’t risk having to watch a third McCaffrey play a bunch of minutes that he doesn’t deserve.

I can understand why Fran wanted to play Conner and Conner certainly gave a fuck and was a bit of a red ass, but it also prevented Fran from recruiting better players at that position.

Patrick on the other hand just sucks at everything. He had miserable body language yesterday and had so all game long, (and most of his career) he's a mopey, no energy, sad sack fuck face. Good riddance.

I wonder if there wasn't raging nepotism his sophomore year and other years and had the Murray's played more if that would have gotten us out of the 2nd round of the tourney. Will never know but hey, patrick got his 1000 points.. yeah!!
I never felt angry about Connor. At least he always busted his ass. He was very imperfect, but brought some value.

Patrick serves no purpose other than to fulfill Fran's parental and marital obligations.