**2018 Iowa Basketball Offseason Thread**

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
shockingly Drake did not hire an assistant from a 14 win team
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,220
Reaction score
51,876
Anything important from the interview?
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,220
Reaction score
51,876
Also, now that we are a month removed from the final game of the season, probably somewhat safe to assume we will not see any more transfers? I know Williams left late in the game last year, and this post is retarded, but I'm assuming we are in the clear.

Thoughts, retarded or otherwise? @L. Wade Childress? Casey's Pizza?
 

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Joined
Jan 21, 2015
Messages
28,811
Reaction score
-30,212
Also, now that we are a month removed from the final game of the season, probably somewhat safe to assume we will not see any more transfers? I know Williams left late in the game last year, and this post is retarded, but I'm assuming we are in the clear.

Thoughts, retarded or otherwise? @L. Wade Childress? Casey's Pizza?
Kakert thinks everyone else is back but is leaving the door open for up to 3 more to transfer. Just as he has predicted all along.
 
Last edited:

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Joined
Jan 21, 2015
Messages
28,811
Reaction score
-30,212
Also nothing is over until after the final 4. Shit going down and all.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,958
Howe was on the radio and said that Wagner is visiting another school this weekend about a football scholarship.

He also said that Cook might be gone regardless of the NBA evaluation. Sounds like he is on a mental rocket ship to pro basketball and going to be hard to change his mind.

 

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Joined
Aug 13, 2014
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
-826
Maybe I’m in the minority, but that is how I’ve viewed the Cook situation since he announced it. I would be shocked if he’s back and expect him to be on a G league team with a possible two way contract. It’d be a pleasant surprise if he decided otherwise.
 
Joined
Feb 2, 2018
Messages
576
Reaction score
-852
Yeah, it wouldn't surprise me with Cook. He has always been confident - shall I say supremely confident - in his abilities and not afraid to say so.
 

Tugboat

Berntard
Joined
Aug 6, 2014
Messages
8,909
Reaction score
-8,206
I agree that Cook is likely gone.

Is this a possible situation where he needs to make some money for his family or is his family good financially?
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
Casey's Pizza?
Fine and much better than gas station food needs to be but probably overrated imo

What does a G League player pull in? Can't be that much.
If you aren't on a two way deal (which most aren't, and which I don't think Cook will get) it maxes out at like 26k. The only way to make real money in the g league is to play well enough to get a couple ten day contracts with the NBA club. The scholarship with room, board, and whatever extra you can get from boosters and bagmen is honestly probably worth more than the base G League salary at most schools

He could make a lot more than that in Europe though, if he was open to it
 

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
92,230
Reaction score
-96,191
former hoops player telling our crew that the black players on the team are not fans of Fran. Said the word is getting out on the recruiting trail.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,958
former hoops player telling our crew that the black players on the team are not fans of Fran. Said the word is getting out on the recruiting trail.
Yeah, going to call complete bullshit on that.
 

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
92,230
Reaction score
-96,191
former hoops player telling our crew that the black players on the team are not fans of Fran. Said the word is getting out on the recruiting trail.
Yeah, going to call complete bullshit on that..

he's the same guy who told us Wagner was gone a month or so before it became fact. As a former player(not under Fran)he has no ax to grind.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,958
former hoops player telling our crew that the black players on the team are not fans of Fran. Said the word is getting out on the recruiting trail.
Yeah, going to call complete bullshit on that.
former hoops player telling our crew that the black players on the team are not fans of Fran. Said the word is getting out on the recruiting trail.
Yeah, going to call complete bullshit on that.
he's the same guy who told us Wagner was gone a month or so before it became fact. As a former player(not under Fran)he has no ax to grind.
Wow, what a bold prediction to say Wagner was gone. Did he really go out on a limb and say that Ellingson might be gone too??

"The word is getting out on the recruiting trail" is the dumbest part of all that.

Man, those black guys on the team are so not fond of Fran that the kid from Chicago Simeon decided to stay and looks like the black kid from New Jersey is going to stay as well.

"Former player not under Fran" should tell you he knows likely less than even someone like AZMessDaDAWG or Legend would. L. Wade might know as much at this point.
 

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,026
Reaction score
10,825
The rumor about black players not liking Fran has been out there since Williams left and has been debunked.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,958
The rumor about black players not liking Fran has been out there since Williams left and has been debunked.
Nah, no way man. I bet this is the same brilliant source that let the looker know a couple years ago that Jok and his guardian were super pissed at Fran for some weird made up reason and was the reason he was testing the NBA draft process.
 

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
92,230
Reaction score
-96,191
I hope it's not true but I guess the next couple recruiting classes will be telling.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
The rumor about black players not liking Fran has been out there since Williams left and has been debunked.
There has been some version of this story about Iowa basketball going back as long as I've been on message boards, which would be going back to, like, Alford
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,958
I hope it's not true but I guess the next couple recruiting classes will be telling.
Yeah, and I don't mean to come so hard like you are making up the rumor or something, but simply saying any player that didn't play under Fran would have no real connections to the program at this point.

Everyone is gone from the prior to Fran era. Jerry Strom is gone. Phil Haddy is gone. The Strieff is gone. Most if not all of the admins are gone. Every coach and support staff member is different.

It isn't like back in the day when Alford or even Lick was here and there were still half a dozen guys left over from the Dr. Tom era.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
Like I don't think you really needed an inside source to know that Wagner might try football. He had Iowa football coaches and players tweeting at him about it, one Iowa beat writer bringing up his NFL potential every five seconds, and he saw his basektball playing time and production fall off a cliff this year.
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,928
Reaction score
3,181
Some of the biggest offenders of bullshit are former players. I’m not doubting that’s what you heard just that it’s likely bullshit.
 

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Joined
Jun 6, 2013
Messages
7,690
Reaction score
-6,599
Like I don't think you really needed an inside source to know that Wagner might try football. He had Iowa football coaches and players tweeting at him about it, one Iowa beat writer bringing up his NFL potential every five seconds, and he saw his basektball playing time and production fall off a cliff this year.
:icon_neutral:
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
Like I don't think you really needed an inside source to know that Wagner might try football. He had Iowa football coaches and players tweeting at him about it, one Iowa beat writer bringing up his NFL potential every five seconds, and he saw his basektball playing time and production fall off a cliff this year.
:icon_neutral:
Lol
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,958
What does a G League player pull in? Can't be that much.
I would assume more than he is making at Iowa.
Well no shit. But Europe would probably be more lucrative, no?
Europe isn't the path to the NBA anymore. The G league is that path now with 2 way contracts and most players who go overseas at this point are like Aaron White where they know the NBA is more of a pipe dream but can make a lucrative career by establishing themselves in the Euro leagues.

I think my percentage for Cook coming back was about 70/3o, but even before reading the Howe tweet I think at this point that numbers should be flipped. Cook simply seems like he is on a mission to get into the pro level as quickly as possible given his peers.

Having to come back to Iowa seems like it would crush him. I think he would rather play in the G League even if they tell him there is no shot he gets drafted.

Maybe he will get humbled to the point he doesn't have much other choice than to come back to Iowa, but I think even if he gets a glimmer of hope of being drafted late in the 2nd round or the chance of a 2 way contract he is gone.

Either way, not expecting to see him at Iowa going forward.
 
Joined
Feb 2, 2018
Messages
576
Reaction score
-852
I would assume more than he is making at Iowa.
Well no shit. But Europe would probably be more lucrative, no?
Europe isn't the path to the NBA anymore. The G league is that path now with 2 way contracts and most players who go overseas at this point are like Aaron White where they know the NBA is more of a pipe dream but can make a lucrative career by establishing themselves in the Euro leagues.

I think my percentage for Cook coming back was about 70/3o, but even before reading the Howe tweet I think at this point that numbers should be flipped. Cook simply seems like he is on a mission to get into the pro level as quickly as possible given his peers.

Having to come back to Iowa seems like it would crush him. I think he would rather play in the G League even if they tell him there is no shot he gets drafted.

Maybe he will get humbled to the point he doesn't have much other choice than to come back to Iowa, but I think even if he gets a glimmer of hope of being drafted late in the 2nd round or the chance of a 2 way contract he is gone.

Either way, not expecting to see him at Iowa going forward.
Personally I think he would be better off going Europe as I don't see an NBA future - undersized PFs aren't in high demand. But I could be wrong. He could always try G league for awhile and then jump to Europe later.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,958
Well no shit. But Europe would probably be more lucrative, no?
Europe isn't the path to the NBA anymore. The G league is that path now with 2 way contracts and most players who go overseas at this point are like Aaron White where they know the NBA is more of a pipe dream but can make a lucrative career by establishing themselves in the Euro leagues.

I think my percentage for Cook coming back was about 70/3o, but even before reading the Howe tweet I think at this point that numbers should be flipped. Cook simply seems like he is on a mission to get into the pro level as quickly as possible given his peers.

Having to come back to Iowa seems like it would crush him. I think he would rather play in the G League even if they tell him there is no shot he gets drafted.

Maybe he will get humbled to the point he doesn't have much other choice than to come back to Iowa, but I think even if he gets a glimmer of hope of being drafted late in the 2nd round or the chance of a 2 way contract he is gone.

Either way, not expecting to see him at Iowa going forward.
Personally I think he would be better off going Europe as I don't see an NBA future - undersized PFs aren't in high demand. But I could be wrong. He could always try G league for awhile and then jump to Europe later.
That ultimately might be correct, but in his eyes it is NBA or bust for the next 4-5 year minimum. The way to do that now is the G League as a lot of NBA teams have supposedly cut back how much they scout the Euro leagues and have concentrated much more on developing out of their own system.

I think Uthoff is going to have to decide to make the jump to the Euro leagues after next year. He got so much better as a player this year in the G League but somehow hasn't been able to get a 10 day contract after he got one last year.

Either the Pacers have promised him something going into next year or teams simply aren't interested. He would do as well as Aaron White or better in Europe and make a great living, so interested to see what he does.
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,928
Reaction score
3,181
I would assume more than he is making at Iowa.
Well no shit. But Europe would probably be more lucrative, no?
Europe isn't the path to the NBA anymore. The G league is that path now with 2 way contracts and most players who go overseas at this point are like Aaron White where they know the NBA is more of a pipe dream but can make a lucrative career by establishing themselves in the Euro leagues.

I think my percentage for Cook coming back was about 70/3o, but even before reading the Howe tweet I think at this point that numbers should be flipped. Cook simply seems like he is on a mission to get into the pro level as quickly as possible given his peers.

Having to come back to Iowa seems like it would crush him. I think he would rather play in the G League even if they tell him there is no shot he gets drafted.

Maybe he will get humbled to the point he doesn't have much other choice than to come back to Iowa, but I think even if he gets a glimmer of hope of being drafted late in the 2nd round or the chance of a 2 way contract he is gone.

Either way, not expecting to see him at Iowa going forward.
Another 180, boyz!
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,958
Well no shit. But Europe would probably be more lucrative, no?
Europe isn't the path to the NBA anymore. The G league is that path now with 2 way contracts and most players who go overseas at this point are like Aaron White where they know the NBA is more of a pipe dream but can make a lucrative career by establishing themselves in the Euro leagues.

I think my percentage for Cook coming back was about 70/3o, but even before reading the Howe tweet I think at this point that numbers should be flipped. Cook simply seems like he is on a mission to get into the pro level as quickly as possible given his peers.

Having to come back to Iowa seems like it would crush him. I think he would rather play in the G League even if they tell him there is no shot he gets drafted.

Maybe he will get humbled to the point he doesn't have much other choice than to come back to Iowa, but I think even if he gets a glimmer of hope of being drafted late in the 2nd round or the chance of a 2 way contract he is gone.

Either way, not expecting to see him at Iowa going forward.
Another 180, boyz!
Every time going to post this dawgy dawg......

 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
Getting even a 2 way deal is really hard, there aren't that many spots. Uthoff is a way better player and fit for the modern NBA and he can't get one. If Cook actually wants to make money playing basketball it's going to be in Europe like White.

E: and if he wants to do that I think leaving early is totally fine. You can make a really good living playing overseas. But if he thinks he has a realistic NBA shot he's getting bad advice
 
Last edited:

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Joined
Apr 10, 2010
Messages
28,026
Reaction score
10,825
I know Cook is a great college player but do fans really want a guy on the team that wants to be somewhere else?

Sure he’s probably not a fit for the current NBA at the moment and the G League doesn’t pay great but will his game develop more at Iowa or in the G League where all of his focus can be on his game and the games are played like an NBA style?

Unless he’s on track to graduate in 3 years I don’t see any reason he should really come back if he doesn’t want to. Europe will always be there if he doesn’t make it to the league.
 

26.2

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Joined
Aug 2, 2017
Messages
18,386
Reaction score
5,987
Europe isn't the path to the NBA anymore. The G league is that path now with 2 way contracts and most players who go overseas at this point are like Aaron White where they know the NBA is more of a pipe dream but can make a lucrative career by establishing themselves in the Euro leagues.

I think my percentage for Cook coming back was about 70/3o, but even before reading the Howe tweet I think at this point that numbers should be flipped. Cook simply seems like he is on a mission to get into the pro level as quickly as possible given his peers.

Having to come back to Iowa seems like it would crush him. I think he would rather play in the G League even if they tell him there is no shot he gets drafted.

Maybe he will get humbled to the point he doesn't have much other choice than to come back to Iowa, but I think even if he gets a glimmer of hope of being drafted late in the 2nd round or the chance of a 2 way contract he is gone.

Either way, not expecting to see him at Iowa going forward.
Personally I think he would be better off going Europe as I don't see an NBA future - undersized PFs aren't in high demand. But I could be wrong. He could always try G league for awhile and then jump to Europe later.
That ultimately might be correct, but in his eyes it is NBA or bust for the next 4-5 year minimum.
Is that what he told you?
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,928
Reaction score
3,181
Lol he’s doing the same think Jok did and countless others have. The only difference this time is all the “rumors” that supposedly he’s been “gone” for a long time.

He may very well be gone but I don’t see how this is any different than any other guy that is testing the waters. If you’re testing the waters, then you’re serious about it. You don’t just go through the motions.
 

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
22,605
Reaction score
4,440
I know Cook is a great college player but do fans really want a guy on the team that wants to be somewhere else?
Yes, particularly if that somewhere else is the NBA.

I assume every single player that tests the waters wants to hear they are ready and likely to be drafted first round.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,301
Reaction score
27,958
Lol he’s doing the same think Jok did and countless others have. The only difference this time is all the “rumors” that supposedly he’s been “gone” for a long time.

He may very well be gone but I don’t see how this is any different than any other guy that is testing the waters. If you’re testing the waters, then you’re serious about it. You don’t just go through the motions.
I think there are small signs he is more mentally out the door than Jok or many others ever have been. I don't get the vibe from him that he is simply doing this to test the process for growth and learning. He seems to be very insistent on leaving. Even dumb stuff like his social media he updated his profile on twitter to remove the part about being a forward at Iowa.

Everyone (besides dumb fucking beat writers that didn't understand the new process the first year) knew that Jok was going to be back unless he completely blew people away during his evaluation. Same with many others. This doesn't feel the same as those.
 
Top