L. Wade Childress
Too stupid to be real
- Joined
- Aug 24, 2007
- Messages
- 87,234
- Reaction score
- 1,537
UNI will have a spot for Pemsl in summer
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa/basketball-men/2018/04/11/fran-mccaffery-iowa-hawkeyes-basketball-scholarships/507661002/“You look at a grad transfer. You look at a transfer as a possibility. But then if I do that, then I don’t have a ’19. I want to have a scholarship in ’19,” Fran McCaffery said. “So that’s probably what we’re going to do. Hold on to it and just go after the ’19 class.
I don't imagine we'll be seeing one of those videos where the team and coaches get all emotional and jacked up for this revelation.
In addition, backup forward Cordell Pemsl indicated in an interview Tuesday some uncertainty about whether he would return to the Hawkeyes next season. McCaffery said Wednesday that Pemsl remains firmly in the fold.
“He might have misunderstood” the question, McCaffery said of Pemsl. “He’s fine. He’ll be here. He’ll be back.”
That was not how it went down.Q: are you coming back?
Pemsl: I’m not sure. May explore other options.
Fran: I think he misunderstood the question.
LOL
Did he mean JUCO?It doesn't look like they are planning any additions to the roster this year. 1 scholarship to Conner, 1 banked for next year.
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa/basketball-men/2018/04/11/fran-mccaffery-iowa-hawkeyes-basketball-scholarships/507661002/“You look at a grad transfer. You look at a transfer as a possibility. But then if I do that, then I don’t have a ’19. I want to have a scholarship in ’19,” Fran McCaffery said. “So that’s probably what we’re going to do. Hold on to it and just go after the ’19 class.
Yes. And Fran has said he's banking the other scholarship *anyway* so the logic makes zero sense.Doesn’t he HAVE to be on scholarship in order to have access to certain things like training table, etc?
Personally, I think it gives him one less chance to bring in and play some mid-level guy. Clearly, he wants some scholarships at his disposal for 2019, as he has Patrick and the connections with this class to make a little inroads with some guys who could really make a difference. He'll have this one, Baer and at least one of Pemsl/Cook. We actually appear to legitimately be in the running with Carton, Terry, Jackson-Davis, all of whom I would think could make an impact in addition to Pat.Iowa is banking an open scholarship.
Iowa Fan: "Fran giving a scholarship to Connor is a wasted opportunity to bring in a talented playmaker"
We lost two players who couldn't get it done and add two players who will be nice pieces (one of which will probably be the third best player on the team immediately).I shockingly think Iowa is going to be fine even if they don't add anyone. Last year was a bad mix of players due to injury and other factors along with some of the most atrocious defense we have ever seen.
Wieskamp, Connor and some motivated older players is going to make a huge difference.
Do you really think this is shocking? Seems like you do this every year.I shockingly think Iowa is going to be fine even if they don't add anyone.
This ..... + one extra quality player Fran doesn't have to fit into the log jam of rotation players.Personally, I think it gives him one less chance to bring in and play some mid-level guy. Clearly, he wants some scholarships at his disposal for 2019, as he has Patrick and the connections with this class to make a little inroads with some guys who could really make a difference. He'll have this one, Baer and at least one of Pemsl/Cook. We actually appear to legitimately be in the running with Carton, Terry, Jackson-Davis, all of whom I would think could make an impact in addition to Pat.Iowa is banking an open scholarship.
Iowa Fan: "Fran giving a scholarship to Connor is a wasted opportunity to bring in a talented playmaker"
Iowa fans can be so stupid. Connor 100% should be on scholarship. He was a top 150 player who looked really good in his really brief time last year.
They got rid of that walk on rule a few years ago.Yes. And Fran has said he's banking the other scholarship *anyway* so the logic makes zero sense.Doesn’t he HAVE to be on scholarship in order to have access to certain things like training table, etc?
thatsthejoke/gifDo you really think this is shocking? Seems like you do this every year.I shockingly think Iowa is going to be fine even if they don't add anyone.
I do, too, but not until September.
I think Frederick can play too. Definite upgrade over Ellingson.I shockingly think Iowa is going to be fine even if they don't add anyone. Last year was a bad mix of players due to injury and other factors along with some of the most atrocious defense we have ever seen.
Wieskamp, Connor and some motivated older players is going to make a huge difference.
@CamelTones has pointed this out a few times as well, but one of the biggest problems last year was lack of shooters spreading the court. That should be much improved, especially if Moss pulls his head out of his ass and Nunge is allowed to play as a stretch big man and not a small forward. Garza also should be even more of a threat.I think Frederick can play too. Definite upgrade over Ellingson.I shockingly think Iowa is going to be fine even if they don't add anyone. Last year was a bad mix of players due to injury and other factors along with some of the most atrocious defense we have ever seen.
Wieskamp, Connor and some motivated older players is going to make a huge difference.
The main thing is...we'll have some legitimate 3s on the roster. We were rolling with 0 last year. That was killer.
I know he wants to play baseball and might have a pro career in it, but think he will ultimately decide to stick with basketball going forward.To me the only legitimate complaint is that he should not spend any time on baseball if he’s getting a full ride for hoops. I don’t agree with that either, but whatever.
In terms of need, it would seem the basketball team needs him a lot more than the baseball team.I know he wants to play baseball and might have a pro career in it, but think he will ultimately decide to stick with basketball going forward.To me the only legitimate complaint is that he should not spend any time on baseball if he’s getting a full ride for hoops. I don’t agree with that either, but whatever.
On Wednesday, University of Iowa sophomore Tyler Cook provided Hawkeye men's basketball fans an update on his future.
"Playing in the NBA is a dream of mine for as long as I can remember and I am taking full advantage of this opportunity to see where I stand so I can make an informed decision for my future," Cook said.
The power forward said that rumors of him already having one foot out the door for the NBA are simply not true.
"When I committed here, I made a commitment and I am sticking by that commitment," Cook said.
Cook said it is still early in the process, but so far it has been a lot of fun and he has learned a lot, not only about how the NBA works, but about himself.
"I am still participating in team drills and doing everything with my teammates," said Cook. "Later this month is when I can start working out with NBA teams. If I chose, I can also hold a Pro Day. I am still learning about the process."
Cook, who was honorable mention All-Big Ten selection last season, says feedback from teams and the advisory committee will factor as to whether he stays at Iowa or keeps his name in for the NBA Draft.
"I have two great situations," Cook said. "Whether I go to the NBA, I will be reaching a dream of mine or coming back for my junior year is not a bad option either. When I have all the information in front of me I will be able to make an informed decision."
Cook said Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery and the coaching staff have been awesome throughout the process.
"They have done nothing but support and help me," said Cook. "They have always been there for me as long as I have been here. They are a valuable resource, not just for basketball, but in life, and preparing me for the process of balancing my academics and working out with the teams."
McCaffery said he wants Cook to make it to the NBA as much as he wants it for himself.
"There's no doubt in my mind that it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when," said McCaffery. "Maybe it isn't this year, but maybe it is. The bottom line is he needs to get feedback, attend workouts, and see how it goes. We are supporting him in his pursuit."
Cook, who led the team in scoring (15.3) and rebounding (6.8) last season, said he is looking to improve is overall skill set this offseason.
"I want to be more explosive, faster, and quicker," Cook said. "I am trying to be the best physical athlete I can be. My bread and butter is on the inside, but I need to be a more consistent shooter from anywhere on the floor and be able to handle the basketball in any situation. It's a skill set any player in my position needs to do be successful at Iowa and the next level."
So much this. We don't need to bring in a shitty player to clog the roster and have Fran feel the need to toss him some minutes. The pickings are slim so just bank it. And Connor deserves to be on scholarship - period.Personally, I think it gives him one less chance to bring in and play some mid-level guy. Clearly, he wants some scholarships at his disposal for 2019, as he has Patrick and the connections with this class to make a little inroads with some guys who could really make a difference. He'll have this one, Baer and at least one of Pemsl/Cook. We actually appear to legitimately be in the running with Carton, Terry, Jackson-Davis, all of whom I would think could make an impact in addition to Pat.Iowa is banking an open scholarship.
Iowa Fan: "Fran giving a scholarship to Connor is a wasted opportunity to bring in a talented playmaker"
Iowa fans can be so stupid. Connor 100% should be on scholarship. He was a top 150 player who looked really good in his really brief time last year.
On Wednesday, University of Iowa sophomore Tyler Cook provided Hawkeye men's basketball fans an update on his future.
"Playing in the NBA is a dream of mine for as long as I can remember and I am taking full advantage of this opportunity to see where I stand so I can make an informed decision for my future," Cook said.
The power forward said that rumors of him already having one foot out the door for the NBA are simply not true.
"When I committed here, I made a commitment and I am sticking by that commitment," Cook said.
Cook said it is still early in the process, but so far it has been a lot of fun and he has learned a lot, not only about how the NBA works, but about himself.
"I am still participating in team drills and doing everything with my teammates," said Cook. "Later this month is when I can start working out with NBA teams. If I chose, I can also hold a Pro Day. I am still learning about the process."
Cook, who was honorable mention All-Big Ten selection last season, says feedback from teams and the advisory committee will factor as to whether he stays at Iowa or keeps his name in for the NBA Draft.
"I have two great situations," Cook said. "Whether I go to the NBA, I will be reaching a dream of mine or coming back for my junior year is not a bad option either. When I have all the information in front of me I will be able to make an informed decision."
Cook said Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery and the coaching staff have been awesome throughout the process.
"They have done nothing but support and help me," said Cook. "They have always been there for me as long as I have been here. They are a valuable resource, not just for basketball, but in life, and preparing me for the process of balancing my academics and working out with the teams."
McCaffery said he wants Cook to make it to the NBA as much as he wants it for himself.
"There's no doubt in my mind that it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when," said McCaffery. "Maybe it isn't this year, but maybe it is. The bottom line is he needs to get feedback, attend workouts, and see how it goes. We are supporting him in his pursuit."
Cook, who led the team in scoring (15.3) and rebounding (6.8) last season, said he is looking to improve is overall skill set this offseason.
"I want to be more explosive, faster, and quicker," Cook said. "I am trying to be the best physical athlete I can be. My bread and butter is on the inside, but I need to be a more consistent shooter from anywhere on the floor and be able to handle the basketball in any situation. It's a skill set any player in my position needs to do be successful at Iowa and the next level."
Exactly.So unless I'm missing something this huge team mutiny that was supposedly happening is most likely going to amount to Ahmad Wagner deciding to play the sport he should have been playing all along and maybe Pemsl wanting more playing time?
I don't.I wonder if that puts an end to the “he’s gone no matter what” posts.
University of Iowa rising junior Cordell Pemsl said Wednesday that he is "100 percent invested in Iowa."
Pemsl played in 32 games as a sophomore, averaging 5.7 points and 4.5 rebounds for the Hawkeyes. His scoring production led the Hawkeye reserves. The Dubuque, Iowa, native says that heading into the offseason he wants to show Iowa fans -- and himself -- that he is a player that can bring a lot to this university.
"On and off the floor I am someone who can be a team leader and show teammates how to do things the right way," Pemsl said. "Iowa is a place I believe I can grow, not only on the floor, but off the floor."
Pemsl (6-foot-8, 240 pounds) and his Iowa teammates have started offseason training and everyone has raised their level of intensity.
"It has been exciting for us," said Pemsl. "We have stepped up our weight training and on-court workouts. There is an improved vibe around the locker room. The guys are getting to work and doing what we need to do to get ready for next season.
"These workouts over the course of the next few weeks, and this summer, are going to be competitive. Everyone is going to work hard, it is going to be a positive atmosphere, and we are going to do whatever it takes to return to our winning tradition."
Pemsl says he is happy at Iowa and believes he can be a vocal leader in the locker room next season.
"I think I am a likeable teammate who is looked up to by both younger guys and upperclassmen," Pemsl said. "I try to bring more to the game than just basketball. I try to impact our team in a variety of ways. I believe I can be a guy who can lead this team."
Pemsl, who has scored in double figures 22 times and shot the basketball at a 56 percent or better clip each of his first two seasons, believes the frontcourt depth on the team can help in a lot of different ways.
"We have a number of bigs who can stretch, handle, and pass the ball," said Pemsl. "We feel comfortable going into next season and everyone is going to have the opportunity to show not only everyone watching, but themselves as well."
He didn't talk about defense!!!1111Cook's quotes could not have been better. As usual.
I'm flipping my percentages back now big dogg!!I wonder if that puts an end to the “he’s gone no matter what” posts.
DoubtfulI wonder if that puts an end to the “he’s gone no matter what” posts.
he used to be able to absorb such a blowDon't let the door hit you in the ass Cordell.
In all seriousness, these are boner inducing comments.On Wednesday, University of Iowa sophomore Tyler Cook provided Hawkeye men's basketball fans an update on his future.
"Playing in the NBA is a dream of mine for as long as I can remember and I am taking full advantage of this opportunity to see where I stand so I can make an informed decision for my future," Cook said.
The power forward said that rumors of him already having one foot out the door for the NBA are simply not true.
"When I committed here, I made a commitment and I am sticking by that commitment," Cook said.
Cook said it is still early in the process, but so far it has been a lot of fun and he has learned a lot, not only about how the NBA works, but about himself.
"I am still participating in team drills and doing everything with my teammates," said Cook. "Later this month is when I can start working out with NBA teams. If I chose, I can also hold a Pro Day. I am still learning about the process."
Cook, who was honorable mention All-Big Ten selection last season, says feedback from teams and the advisory committee will factor as to whether he stays at Iowa or keeps his name in for the NBA Draft.
"I have two great situations," Cook said. "Whether I go to the NBA, I will be reaching a dream of mine or coming back for my junior year is not a bad option either. When I have all the information in front of me I will be able to make an informed decision."
Cook said Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery and the coaching staff have been awesome throughout the process.
"They have done nothing but support and help me," said Cook. "They have always been there for me as long as I have been here. They are a valuable resource, not just for basketball, but in life, and preparing me for the process of balancing my academics and working out with the teams."
McCaffery said he wants Cook to make it to the NBA as much as he wants it for himself.
"There's no doubt in my mind that it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when," said McCaffery. "Maybe it isn't this year, but maybe it is. The bottom line is he needs to get feedback, attend workouts, and see how it goes. We are supporting him in his pursuit."
Cook, who led the team in scoring (15.3) and rebounding (6.8) last season, said he is looking to improve is overall skill set this offseason.
"I want to be more explosive, faster, and quicker," Cook said. "I am trying to be the best physical athlete I can be. My bread and butter is on the inside, but I need to be a more consistent shooter from anywhere on the floor and be able to handle the basketball in any situation. It's a skill set any player in my position needs to do be successful at Iowa and the next level."