**2018 Iowa Basketball Offseason Thread**

JD720

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Oct 21, 2007
Messages
7,275
Reaction score
1,516
It doesn't look like they are planning any additions to the roster this year. 1 scholarship to Conner, 1 banked for next year.

“You look at a grad transfer. You look at a transfer as a possibility. But then if I do that, then I don’t have a ’19. I want to have a scholarship in ’19,” Fran McCaffery said. “So that’s probably what we’re going to do. Hold on to it and just go after the ’19 class.
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa/basketball-men/2018/04/11/fran-mccaffery-iowa-hawkeyes-basketball-scholarships/507661002/
 

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Joined
Oct 17, 2011
Messages
8,952
Reaction score
-4,697
Q: are you coming back?
Pemsl: I’m not sure. May explore other options.
Fran: I think he misunderstood the question.

LOL
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,649
Reaction score
-14,437
Q: are you coming back?
Pemsl: I’m not sure. May explore other options.
Fran: I think he misunderstood the question.

LOL
That was not how it went down.

He said "Did you think about transferring?" and he said "I don't know."

Then responded to the affirmative that it was in his hands.

Chad Leistkow sucks.
 
Last edited:

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
22,602
Reaction score
4,432
It doesn't look like they are planning any additions to the roster this year. 1 scholarship to Conner, 1 banked for next year.

“You look at a grad transfer. You look at a transfer as a possibility. But then if I do that, then I don’t have a ’19. I want to have a scholarship in ’19,” Fran McCaffery said. “So that’s probably what we’re going to do. Hold on to it and just go after the ’19 class.
https://www.desmoinesregister.com/story/sports/college/iowa/basketball-men/2018/04/11/fran-mccaffery-iowa-hawkeyes-basketball-scholarships/507661002/
Did he mean JUCO?
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,900
Reaction score
3,147
Doesn’t he HAVE to be on scholarship in order to have access to certain things like training table, etc?
 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,814
Doesn’t he HAVE to be on scholarship in order to have access to certain things like training table, etc?
Yes. And Fran has said he's banking the other scholarship *anyway* so the logic makes zero sense.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,260
Reaction score
27,900
I shockingly think Iowa is going to be fine even if they don't add anyone. Last year was a bad mix of players due to injury and other factors along with some of the most atrocious defense we have ever seen.

Wieskamp, Connor and some motivated older players is going to make a huge difference.
 

MikeyJoe

has a big head
Joined
Aug 26, 2007
Messages
74,290
Reaction score
17,814
Iowa is banking an open scholarship.

Iowa Fan: "Fran giving a scholarship to Connor is a wasted opportunity to bring in a talented playmaker"
 

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Joined
Oct 17, 2011
Messages
8,952
Reaction score
-4,697
Iowa is banking an open scholarship.

Iowa Fan: "Fran giving a scholarship to Connor is a wasted opportunity to bring in a talented playmaker"
Personally, I think it gives him one less chance to bring in and play some mid-level guy. Clearly, he wants some scholarships at his disposal for 2019, as he has Patrick and the connections with this class to make a little inroads with some guys who could really make a difference. He'll have this one, Baer and at least one of Pemsl/Cook. We actually appear to legitimately be in the running with Carton, Terry, Jackson-Davis, all of whom I would think could make an impact in addition to Pat.

Iowa fans can be so stupid. Connor 100% should be on scholarship. He was a top 150 player who looked really good in his brief time last year.
 
Last edited:

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,649
Reaction score
-14,437
I shockingly think Iowa is going to be fine even if they don't add anyone. Last year was a bad mix of players due to injury and other factors along with some of the most atrocious defense we have ever seen.

Wieskamp, Connor and some motivated older players is going to make a huge difference.
We lost two players who couldn't get it done and add two players who will be nice pieces (one of which will probably be the third best player on the team immediately).
 

Geese

LOVES Chris Williams
Joined
Jan 21, 2015
Messages
28,810
Reaction score
-30,212
IBF is seriously the worst. Connor should be on scholarship. Fuck anyone bitching about this.
 

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
8,357
Reaction score
2,812
Iowa is banking an open scholarship.

Iowa Fan: "Fran giving a scholarship to Connor is a wasted opportunity to bring in a talented playmaker"
Personally, I think it gives him one less chance to bring in and play some mid-level guy. Clearly, he wants some scholarships at his disposal for 2019, as he has Patrick and the connections with this class to make a little inroads with some guys who could really make a difference. He'll have this one, Baer and at least one of Pemsl/Cook. We actually appear to legitimately be in the running with Carton, Terry, Jackson-Davis, all of whom I would think could make an impact in addition to Pat.

Iowa fans can be so stupid. Connor 100% should be on scholarship. He was a top 150 player who looked really good in his really brief time last year.
This ..... + one extra quality player Fran doesn't have to fit into the log jam of rotation players.
 
Joined
Jul 15, 2009
Messages
26,116
Reaction score
-37,468
I suppose that should be in a former players thread but I was too lazy to search
 

rodg12

Might not need to GFH
Joined
Apr 21, 2011
Messages
4,189
Reaction score
5,632
I shockingly think Iowa is going to be fine even if they don't add anyone. Last year was a bad mix of players due to injury and other factors along with some of the most atrocious defense we have ever seen.

Wieskamp, Connor and some motivated older players is going to make a huge difference.
I think Frederick can play too. Definite upgrade over Ellingson.

The main thing is...we'll have some legitimate 3s on the roster. We were rolling with 0 last year. That was killer.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,260
Reaction score
27,900
I shockingly think Iowa is going to be fine even if they don't add anyone. Last year was a bad mix of players due to injury and other factors along with some of the most atrocious defense we have ever seen.

Wieskamp, Connor and some motivated older players is going to make a huge difference.
I think Frederick can play too. Definite upgrade over Ellingson.

The main thing is...we'll have some legitimate 3s on the roster. We were rolling with 0 last year. That was killer.
@CamelTones has pointed this out a few times as well, but one of the biggest problems last year was lack of shooters spreading the court. That should be much improved, especially if Moss pulls his head out of his ass and Nunge is allowed to play as a stretch big man and not a small forward. Garza also should be even more of a threat.
 

L. Wade Childress

Too stupid to be real
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
87,233
Reaction score
1,537
To me the only legitimate complaint is that he should not spend any time on baseball if he’s getting a full ride for hoops. I don’t agree with that either, but whatever.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,260
Reaction score
27,900
To me the only legitimate complaint is that he should not spend any time on baseball if he’s getting a full ride for hoops. I don’t agree with that either, but whatever.
I know he wants to play baseball and might have a pro career in it, but think he will ultimately decide to stick with basketball going forward.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,649
Reaction score
-14,437
To me the only legitimate complaint is that he should not spend any time on baseball if he’s getting a full ride for hoops. I don’t agree with that either, but whatever.
I know he wants to play baseball and might have a pro career in it, but think he will ultimately decide to stick with basketball going forward.
In terms of need, it would seem the basketball team needs him a lot more than the baseball team.
 

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Joined
Jun 6, 2013
Messages
7,690
Reaction score
-6,599
Defense. The problem was, is, and must not continue to be if we want any chance at being a real program, defense.
 
Joined
Mar 10, 2008
Messages
7,253
Reaction score
-8,978
On Wednesday, University of Iowa sophomore Tyler Cook provided Hawkeye men's basketball fans an update on his future.

"Playing in the NBA is a dream of mine for as long as I can remember and I am taking full advantage of this opportunity to see where I stand so I can make an informed decision for my future," Cook said.

The power forward said that rumors of him already having one foot out the door for the NBA are simply not true.

"When I committed here, I made a commitment and I am sticking by that commitment," Cook said.

Cook said it is still early in the process, but so far it has been a lot of fun and he has learned a lot, not only about how the NBA works, but about himself.

"I am still participating in team drills and doing everything with my teammates," said Cook. "Later this month is when I can start working out with NBA teams. If I chose, I can also hold a Pro Day. I am still learning about the process."

Cook, who was honorable mention All-Big Ten selection last season, says feedback from teams and the advisory committee will factor as to whether he stays at Iowa or keeps his name in for the NBA Draft.

"I have two great situations," Cook said. "Whether I go to the NBA, I will be reaching a dream of mine or coming back for my junior year is not a bad option either. When I have all the information in front of me I will be able to make an informed decision."

Cook said Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery and the coaching staff have been awesome throughout the process.

"They have done nothing but support and help me," said Cook. "They have always been there for me as long as I have been here. They are a valuable resource, not just for basketball, but in life, and preparing me for the process of balancing my academics and working out with the teams."

McCaffery said he wants Cook to make it to the NBA as much as he wants it for himself.

"There's no doubt in my mind that it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when," said McCaffery. "Maybe it isn't this year, but maybe it is. The bottom line is he needs to get feedback, attend workouts, and see how it goes. We are supporting him in his pursuit."

Cook, who led the team in scoring (15.3) and rebounding (6.8) last season, said he is looking to improve is overall skill set this offseason.

"I want to be more explosive, faster, and quicker," Cook said. "I am trying to be the best physical athlete I can be. My bread and butter is on the inside, but I need to be a more consistent shooter from anywhere on the floor and be able to handle the basketball in any situation. It's a skill set any player in my position needs to do be successful at Iowa and the next level."
 
Joined
Feb 2, 2018
Messages
576
Reaction score
-852
Iowa is banking an open scholarship.

Iowa Fan: "Fran giving a scholarship to Connor is a wasted opportunity to bring in a talented playmaker"
Personally, I think it gives him one less chance to bring in and play some mid-level guy. Clearly, he wants some scholarships at his disposal for 2019, as he has Patrick and the connections with this class to make a little inroads with some guys who could really make a difference. He'll have this one, Baer and at least one of Pemsl/Cook. We actually appear to legitimately be in the running with Carton, Terry, Jackson-Davis, all of whom I would think could make an impact in addition to Pat.

Iowa fans can be so stupid. Connor 100% should be on scholarship. He was a top 150 player who looked really good in his really brief time last year.
So much this. We don't need to bring in a shitty player to clog the roster and have Fran feel the need to toss him some minutes. The pickings are slim so just bank it. And Connor deserves to be on scholarship - period.
 
Joined
Mar 31, 2013
Messages
1,712
Reaction score
-1,344
On Wednesday, University of Iowa sophomore Tyler Cook provided Hawkeye men's basketball fans an update on his future.

"Playing in the NBA is a dream of mine for as long as I can remember and I am taking full advantage of this opportunity to see where I stand so I can make an informed decision for my future," Cook said.

The power forward said that rumors of him already having one foot out the door for the NBA are simply not true.

"When I committed here, I made a commitment and I am sticking by that commitment," Cook said.

Cook said it is still early in the process, but so far it has been a lot of fun and he has learned a lot, not only about how the NBA works, but about himself.

"I am still participating in team drills and doing everything with my teammates," said Cook. "Later this month is when I can start working out with NBA teams. If I chose, I can also hold a Pro Day. I am still learning about the process."

Cook, who was honorable mention All-Big Ten selection last season, says feedback from teams and the advisory committee will factor as to whether he stays at Iowa or keeps his name in for the NBA Draft.

"I have two great situations," Cook said. "Whether I go to the NBA, I will be reaching a dream of mine or coming back for my junior year is not a bad option either. When I have all the information in front of me I will be able to make an informed decision."

Cook said Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery and the coaching staff have been awesome throughout the process.

"They have done nothing but support and help me," said Cook. "They have always been there for me as long as I have been here. They are a valuable resource, not just for basketball, but in life, and preparing me for the process of balancing my academics and working out with the teams."

McCaffery said he wants Cook to make it to the NBA as much as he wants it for himself.

"There's no doubt in my mind that it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when," said McCaffery. "Maybe it isn't this year, but maybe it is. The bottom line is he needs to get feedback, attend workouts, and see how it goes. We are supporting him in his pursuit."

Cook, who led the team in scoring (15.3) and rebounding (6.8) last season, said he is looking to improve is overall skill set this offseason.

"I want to be more explosive, faster, and quicker," Cook said. "I am trying to be the best physical athlete I can be. My bread and butter is on the inside, but I need to be a more consistent shooter from anywhere on the floor and be able to handle the basketball in any situation. It's a skill set any player in my position needs to do be successful at Iowa and the next level."
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
So unless I'm missing something this huge team mutiny that was supposedly happening is most likely going to amount to Ahmad Wagner deciding to play the sport he should have been playing all along and maybe Pemsl wanting more playing time?
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,900
Reaction score
3,147
I wonder if that puts an end to the “he’s gone no matter what” posts.
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,900
Reaction score
3,147
So unless I'm missing something this huge team mutiny that was supposedly happening is most likely going to amount to Ahmad Wagner deciding to play the sport he should have been playing all along and maybe Pemsl wanting more playing time?
Exactly.
 
Joined
Mar 10, 2008
Messages
7,253
Reaction score
-8,978
University of Iowa rising junior Cordell Pemsl said Wednesday that he is "100 percent invested in Iowa."

Pemsl played in 32 games as a sophomore, averaging 5.7 points and 4.5 rebounds for the Hawkeyes. His scoring production led the Hawkeye reserves. The Dubuque, Iowa, native says that heading into the offseason he wants to show Iowa fans -- and himself -- that he is a player that can bring a lot to this university.

"On and off the floor I am someone who can be a team leader and show teammates how to do things the right way," Pemsl said. "Iowa is a place I believe I can grow, not only on the floor, but off the floor."

Pemsl (6-foot-8, 240 pounds) and his Iowa teammates have started offseason training and everyone has raised their level of intensity.

"It has been exciting for us," said Pemsl. "We have stepped up our weight training and on-court workouts. There is an improved vibe around the locker room. The guys are getting to work and doing what we need to do to get ready for next season.

"These workouts over the course of the next few weeks, and this summer, are going to be competitive. Everyone is going to work hard, it is going to be a positive atmosphere, and we are going to do whatever it takes to return to our winning tradition."

Pemsl says he is happy at Iowa and believes he can be a vocal leader in the locker room next season.

"I think I am a likeable teammate who is looked up to by both younger guys and upperclassmen," Pemsl said. "I try to bring more to the game than just basketball. I try to impact our team in a variety of ways. I believe I can be a guy who can lead this team."

Pemsl, who has scored in double figures 22 times and shot the basketball at a 56 percent or better clip each of his first two seasons, believes the frontcourt depth on the team can help in a lot of different ways.

"We have a number of bigs who can stretch, handle, and pass the ball," said Pemsl. "We feel comfortable going into next season and everyone is going to have the opportunity to show not only everyone watching, but themselves as well."
 

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Joined
Aug 13, 2014
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
-826
This Pemsl thing is hilarious. I love Fran and wouldn’t expect him to comment any way other than how he did
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,260
Reaction score
27,900
On Wednesday, University of Iowa sophomore Tyler Cook provided Hawkeye men's basketball fans an update on his future.

"Playing in the NBA is a dream of mine for as long as I can remember and I am taking full advantage of this opportunity to see where I stand so I can make an informed decision for my future," Cook said.

The power forward said that rumors of him already having one foot out the door for the NBA are simply not true.

"When I committed here, I made a commitment and I am sticking by that commitment," Cook said.

Cook said it is still early in the process, but so far it has been a lot of fun and he has learned a lot, not only about how the NBA works, but about himself.

"I am still participating in team drills and doing everything with my teammates," said Cook. "Later this month is when I can start working out with NBA teams. If I chose, I can also hold a Pro Day. I am still learning about the process."

Cook, who was honorable mention All-Big Ten selection last season, says feedback from teams and the advisory committee will factor as to whether he stays at Iowa or keeps his name in for the NBA Draft.

"I have two great situations," Cook said. "Whether I go to the NBA, I will be reaching a dream of mine or coming back for my junior year is not a bad option either. When I have all the information in front of me I will be able to make an informed decision."

Cook said Iowa head coach Fran McCaffery and the coaching staff have been awesome throughout the process.

"They have done nothing but support and help me," said Cook. "They have always been there for me as long as I have been here. They are a valuable resource, not just for basketball, but in life, and preparing me for the process of balancing my academics and working out with the teams."

McCaffery said he wants Cook to make it to the NBA as much as he wants it for himself.

"There's no doubt in my mind that it's not a matter of if, it's a matter of when," said McCaffery. "Maybe it isn't this year, but maybe it is. The bottom line is he needs to get feedback, attend workouts, and see how it goes. We are supporting him in his pursuit."

Cook, who led the team in scoring (15.3) and rebounding (6.8) last season, said he is looking to improve is overall skill set this offseason.

"I want to be more explosive, faster, and quicker," Cook said. "I am trying to be the best physical athlete I can be. My bread and butter is on the inside, but I need to be a more consistent shooter from anywhere on the floor and be able to handle the basketball in any situation. It's a skill set any player in my position needs to do be successful at Iowa and the next level."
In all seriousness, these are boner inducing comments.

This is a message board so we speculate on everything, so in that tradition......

These articles came directly from the program and seem like setting the record straight on Pemsl and also squashing any lingering rumor on Cook. It also seems like this is softening the way for Cook to come back.

I also think the most notable and maybe the most important part of this article and comments is they don't mention the NBA Draft Combine in Chicago on any level. They mention workouts for NBA teams, they mention a pro day, but they don't mention going to Chicago. Perhaps he already found out he isn't going to be invited and that in some way prompted this article.
 
Top