**2018 Iowa Basketball Offseason Thread**

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,256
Reaction score
27,892
The Iowa Basketball account isn't shy about showing Cook....

 

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Joined
Aug 13, 2014
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
-826
NBA combine invites get sent out Friday.

FWIW, my *source* from the athletic department told me today that the staff expects TC to return to Iowa.
 
Joined
Mar 10, 2008
Messages
7,253
Reaction score
-8,978
^^He's sloooooowly started posting more Iowa-centric stuff on his social media. Which, yeah, not a whole lot to rely on but I don't think it's worth ignoring. He's even advertising that Old Dominion concert at Carver.
 

Stomper15

Not A TOR Poster
Joined
Apr 9, 2015
Messages
8,357
Reaction score
2,811
NBA combine invites get sent out Friday.

FWIW, my *source* from the athletic department told me today that the staff expects TC to return to Iowa.
/CSB alert

After I read your post, I sent a text to my buddy who works as a scout for the Clippers (who I periodically check in with about Cook and his NBA / DL prospects).

My text said: "Final time I ask, is Cook finally on your radar and within your top 75 players?" His response: "Dude -- he's not even in our top 100 and he's not a candidate for a 2 way contract. Not gonna happen."

/CSB alert over
 
Joined
Mar 18, 2018
Messages
1,508
Reaction score
-1,340
Cook in the NBA would be an under-sized power forward who can’t shoot, plays below average defense, and has a below average basketball IQ.

If he keeps developing he could turn into a Taj Gibson type of player. His defense and hustle need to take a big step forward this year. He needs to get nasty. He has great athleticism, and I hope he gets to live his dream.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,166
Reaction score
51,671
Lots of pushin' and pullin' in those five on fives.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,256
Reaction score
27,892
Many of the combine invites have leaked out already and as expected Cook is extremely doubtful to get one. Here are some other stats about last year and the chances for getting drafted....

The invites for the NBA Combine come out today. About 60-65 players will be invited; probably ~10 (mostly top picks) will decline and be replaced by 10 or so more. There are 60 picks in the draft, so what does being invited to the combine say about your draft status?

Based on the 2017 Combine/Draft, it shakes out this way:

-Among 76 invites last year, 50 players were drafted, 9 withdrew before the draft, and 17 went undrafted. About half of the undrafted saw at least a minute of NBA time last season, mostly on 2-way contracts.

-Among the 10 players who were NOT invited to last year's combine but were chosen in the draft, only 2 (Sterling Brown and Jabari Bird) were American college players. Both Brown and Bird were seniors who played in the Portsmouth Invitational Tournament.

-Total percentage of college players invited to the combine that were drafted: 67% (48/72)

-Total percentage of college players invited to the combine that withdrew: 11% (8/72)

-Total percentage of college players invited to the combine, stayed in the drafted, and were drafted: 75% (48/64)

-Total percentage of college players drafted in 2017 who were not invited to the combine: 4% (2/50)

-Non-college players invited to the combine: 4

-Non-college players drafted: 10
 

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Joined
Aug 29, 2007
Messages
15,040
Reaction score
-3,387
Ames Tribune reports that Wigginton did not get an invite, but was asked to fill out the paperwork in case a spot opened up. So I guess he's an alternate. (and almost certain to come back for his sophomore year as generally assumed from the start)

I assume the same for Cook and Moss. Most that received invites were trickling out over the weekend.
 

Bob

Joined
Sep 8, 2012
Messages
6,031
Reaction score
-5,716
Wigginton would have to be a lot more likely to get into it eventually than Cook. He should come back but he has a good shot to be a draft pick next year so I could see teams wanting to get a look at him. Cook really isnt going to be of any serious interest unless he makes some fairly big changes to his game
 
Last edited:

Herky823

5 Shirt Larry
Joined
Aug 4, 2008
Messages
37,399
Reaction score
2,937
Cook will make the decision by then, but it'll be the 10th before Dolph finishes the story he's telling and gets around to saying what it is.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,256
Reaction score
27,892
Dolph was saying at the I-Club meeting this info came directly from the Iowa coaches and they said June 10th and Dolph thought it was May 30th.

My guess is the coaches are mistaken and said the wrong date.
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,894
Reaction score
3,137

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,256
Reaction score
27,892
Another step closer to returning to Iowa.
 

CurdMan

TurdMan DDS
Joined
Aug 13, 2014
Messages
4,108
Reaction score
-826
If Cook was as committed to leaving as was initially rumored (and if he actually preferred G League over Iowa), he would’ve signed an agent already. Go through the workouts, get the feedback, and then return. Kakert is gonna be wrong again.
 

The Incredible Hawk

Will Spineboard You
Joined
Dec 30, 2008
Messages
26,414
Reaction score
3,716
If Cook was as committed to leaving as was initially rumored (and if he actually preferred G League over Iowa), he would’ve signed an agent already. Go through the workouts, get the feedback, and then return. Kakert is gonna be wrong again.
No wai!
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,894
Reaction score
3,137
Once again Hiawatha was right.
Let's think about the timeline for when things need to happen. The deadline for Cook to withdraw his name is May 30th. He'll most likely withdraw (assuming he does) mid-May would be my guess. The number of teams that Pemsl would have to choose from dwindles daily.

I just wonder how much of it has to do with Cook. Maybe he's just thinking of quitting altogether?
The deadline to withdraw from the draft and return to college is May 30th at 11:59 p.m.
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,894
Reaction score
3,137
Mine was posted April 11. Hiawatha on April 18.

Do the math, faggots
 

wondergrape

Has Bad Hair
Joined
Jun 6, 2013
Messages
7,690
Reaction score
-6,599
Once again Hiawatha was right.
Let's think about the timeline for when things need to happen. The deadline for Cook to withdraw his name is May 30th. He'll most likely withdraw (assuming he does) mid-May would be my guess. The number of teams that Pemsl would have to choose from dwindles daily.

I just wonder how much of it has to do with Cook. Maybe he's just thinking of quitting altogether?
The deadline to withdraw from the draft and return to college is May 30th at 11:59 p.m.
Thanks for the great info, @HiawathaHawk!
 

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Joined
Aug 5, 2010
Messages
46,082
Reaction score
43,367
I was worried there wouldn't be a Doug popcorn reference
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,256
Reaction score
27,892
Mine was posted April 11. Hiawatha on April 18.

Do the math, faggots
Like I said. AZ knows hoops. Doug could learn a thing or two.
I'm going to try. Plan on spending Sundays at the local Des Moines area rec league sitting in the stands with other Uncle Rico helicopter trying to live high school again parents keeping stats and sucking up to former "talent".

After that, I will go home and nod my head about how coaches were mean to me and my family.

I won't post about politics though, because it is Sunday and I only do that once a week anyways.
 

nolookpass

Feels the Bern
Joined
Aug 24, 2007
Messages
92,229
Reaction score
-96,189
Mine was posted April 11. Hiawatha on April 18.

Do the math, faggots
Like I said. AZ knows hoops. Doug could learn a thing or two.
I'm going to try. Plan on spending Sundays at the local Des Moines area rec league sitting in the stands with other Uncle Rico helicopter trying to live high school again parents keeping stats and sucking up to former "talent".

After that, I will go home and nod my head about how coaches were mean to me and my family.

I won't post about politics though, because it is Sunday and I only do that once a week anyways.
Da Mouse!
 
Top