**Official 2020 Iowa Hawkeye Football Offseason Thread**

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
I, for one, celebrate POC culture and heritage and all these Iowa crackers can GFY if they are going to throw a fit about it. However, at the same time, don’t need the expletives and innuendo that often come with the genre of music in a public forum.

Reaction score
I, for one, celebrate POC culture and heritage and all these Iowa crackers can GFY if they are going to throw a fit about it. However, at the same time, don’t need the expletives and innuendo that often come with the genre of music in a public forum.
I'm all for NWA on the PA at Kinnick.

thrawn

Reaction score
Not playing a rotation of music types suited to team taste in the weight room is just stupid and not conducive to optimal effort or team camaraderie, imo.

Go coach at BYU if rap triggers you to the point of not tolerating it.
One semester in HS my buddy convinced our PE teacher to play music during our warmup runs around the gym. We never made it past the first track on some mix CD which was Let’s Go, which was unedited. It took her like five weeks to realize the lyrics

Hawk24

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
There is no innuendo in rap.

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
Last year I took tickets for several varsity baseball games. I had to be there so early that I sat through about an hours’ worth of warmups with music playing over the loud speaker. They played mostly country music, and there was virtually no distinction between the innuendo of the songs and the innuendo from rap. Words used to make the innuendo were different. But if inebriation and sex and idiocy are the subjects of rap that trigger the camo crowd, then they’re kinda full of shit.

In the 1950s parents were disgusted by Elvis because he moved his hips and the Beatles were scary to adults in the 1960s because they had shaggy hair and John made a joke about Jesus.

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Reaction score
Hair style limitations (except for white long hairs), no rap, steady stream of metal...I think it paints a picture, whether it’s “racist” or not.

You ain’t winning in P5 without a significant number of good black players, and the above portrait is in fact idiotic from that standpoint.

I’m very happy they’ve fixed it.

HawkeyeJonesEsq

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Wait, they play songs that are not AC/DC and Metallica in the weight room? I can't even imagine that.

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Reaction score
Wait, they play songs that are not AC/DC and Metallica in the weight room? I can't even imagine that.
They play all the game day hits. You know, Cotton-Eyed Joe, Put a Smile on Your Face, Hey Jude. Stuff like that.

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Reaction score
They play all the game day hits. You know, Cotton-Eyed Joe, Put a Smile on Your Face, Hey Jude. Stuff like that.
If they don’t play “I’ve got a feeling” and zombie nation 10 times per session, I don’t want it

sergeanthulka

Is Frequently Requested at Local Karaoke Nights
Reaction score
Last year I took tickets for several varsity baseball games. I had to be there so early that I sat through about an hours’ worth of warmups with music playing over the loud speaker. They played mostly country music, and there was virtually no distinction between the innuendo of the songs and the innuendo from rap. Words used to make the innuendo were different. But if inebriation and sex and idiocy are the subjects of rap that trigger the camo crowd, then they’re kinda full of shit.

In the 1950s parents were disgusted by Elvis because he moved his hips and the Beatles were scary to adults in the 1960s because they had shaggy hair and John made a joke about Jesus.
Boy, I'm far from the authority on rap...but what little I've listened to uses the n-word constantly & talks quite affirmatively about sexual assault, if not rape.

sergeanthulka

Reaction score
Boy, I'm far from the authority on rap...but what little I've listened to uses the n-word constantly & talks quite affirmatively about sexual assault, if not rape.
Kinda laughing as I contemplate some of the rap music I've heard being equated with 'Save a Horse, Ride a Cowboy...'

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score
Hair style limitations (except for white long hairs), no rap, steady stream of metal...I think it paints a picture, whether it’s “racist” or not.

You ain’t winning in P5 without a significant number of good black players, and the above portrait is in fact idiotic from that standpoint.

I’m very happy they’ve fixed it.
I agree but there had to be a better way to go about getting that changed

Thanksgiving Dinner

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
In all seriousness, am I the asshole for not getting how this song gets anyone excited? At the PSU game last year there was a crowd vote on what to play at the end of the third quarter and, sure enough, "Mr. Brightside" was the winner, and I thought, Jesus Christ, are we trying to lose? Fuck's sake, it's a song about a guy being sad because the girl he likes is banging someone else.

Last edited:

Gushawk

Reaction score
I agree but there had to be a better way to go about getting that changed
not if Doyle resisted, given his level of power and influence.

ultimately, I think all of these controversies and criticisms come down to whether a person is or isn’t okay with Doyle’s ouster

Swingin' Dick Stanzi

Dirty Cheat
Reaction score
I can run through a brick wall when I hear the opening bars of "Mr. Brightside".
On spring break in college, our friend nearly got us kicked out of a bar because he was berating and heckling a band for not accepting a request to play Mr. Brightside. Shortly thereafter he was forcibly removed (and arrested) after the manager caught him pissing in the kitchen.

thrawn

Reaction score
In all seriousness, am I the asshole for not getting how this song gets anyone excited? At the PSU game last year there was a crowd vote on what to play at the end of the third quarter and, sure enough, "Mr. Brightside" was the winner, and I thought, Jesus Christ, are we trying to lose? Fuck's sake, it's a song about a guy being sad because the girl here likes is banging someone else.
Living’ on a Prayer is about two poor people struggling to pay bills but everyone who has listened to music in the last 35 years knows every lyric

Jimmie Dimmick

Dog Crap Litterer
Reaction score
In all seriousness, am I the asshole for not getting how this song gets anyone excited? At the PSU game last year there was a crowd vote on what to play at the end of the third quarter and, sure enough, "Mr. Brightside" was the winner, and I thought, Jesus Christ, are we trying to lose? Fuck's sake, it's a song about a guy being sad because the girl here likes is banging someone else.
It’s a toe tapper and was written by the guitarist from Iowa. Other than that, I also don’t get it.

KitKatApples

NW Season Ticket Holder (except IA games)
Reaction score

ultimately, I think all of these controversies and criticisms come down to whether a person is or isn’t okay with Doyle’s ouster
I think this turns out to be a positive in the end

Gushawk

Reaction score
On spring break in college, our friend nearly got us kicked out of a bar because he was berating and heckling a band for not accepting a request to play Mr. Brightside. Shortly thereafter he was forcibly removed (and arrested) after the manager caught him pissing in the kitchen.
who doesn't get pissed when they want to hear “But she's touching his chest now; He takes off her dress now“ and are denied? - it’s a great lyric

Thanksgiving Dinner

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Living’ on a Prayer is about two poor people struggling to pay bills but everyone who has listened to music in the last 35 years knows every lyric
At least it's optimistic and Bon Jovi belts it out with some enthusiasm. "Mr. Brightside" has the energy of a jilted cry alone.

thrawn

Reaction score
At least it's optimistic and Bon Jovi belts it out with some enthusiasm. "Mr. Brightside" has the energy of a jilted cry alone.
I don't make the rules. It's not even my favourite song on that album. But canon is canon and Mr. Brightside is considered canon.

sergeanthulka

Reaction score
Crap, I thought it was about herd immunity.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score

Listening to the entire podcast, it basically sounded like music and appearance were little things that built on the comments Doyle made. They didn’t say he was racist, just that he failed to understand their culture.

They also said that Doyle had so much control because they rarely get to interact with their position coach/KF outside of the season. So if they fucked up or complained, Doyle would take that back to their coaches and they feared it would impact their playing time.

They also knew Kirk and Doyle were close friends. Since Doyle had been there for 20+ years, was Kirk going to trust Doyle or the freshman that’s been on campus for 5 months?

It sounded like the committee that was created after 2016 or whenever started to make some changes. Daniels was on it and he said that to his knowledge none of the issue that were brought up on Twitter were presented to Kirk at their Friday meetings.