Iowa State Football Bashing Thread

Wanderer

Stupid Fuck
Reaction score
Another new series of podcasts!!! Over/under on number of pods in this series is 1.5.

eclone

Former VEISHEA Exec Committee Member
Reaction score
Another new series of podcasts!!! Over/under on number of pods in this series is 1.5.

Meh, I'll take the over. He does a podcast with Campbell every off season, which I'm sure he'll keep branding under this since he has a sponsor (who is giving to charity). I'm sure he can get Fennelly to do one, and he's still close with Hoiberg and even closer with TJ Otz, so there's 3-4 right there. Plus, it pushed out under the normal CycloneFanatic podcast brand, so it's not like his other one he tried to spin off as a totally new podcast with no pre-existing subscriber base.

Reaction score
10 out of 10.

Lol
They did do better with Rivals:

13- Oklahoma
16- Texas
41- Kansas
42- OSU
54- Kansas State
55- Baylor
55- ISU
64- TCU
78- Tech

One can probably throw a net over 3 thru 9.

The Big 10 has some dogs:
62- Indiana
72- Illinois
75- Purdue

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
That’s seems like a long extension for 7 games over .500

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
Nevermind- i now realize the tweet from outcyd the lines was saved from Herbie....lol

ISUFan98

The Captain of Team Dumbfuck
Reaction score
Just wait until Campbell falls short of expectations, those same whiny fans will start chirping about how much money he's making.
So pretty much like fans of every other college football program?

Hawkstrat

Might Need to GFH
Reaction score
Like many on here, I think they've taken a little excitement and a lot of delusion and turned Campbell into something he's not.

It makes sense for Iowa State though. That kind of extension would be laughably premature for most programs.

thrawn

Reaction score
Like many on here, I think they've taken a little excitement and a lot of delusion and turned Campbell into something he's not.

It makes sense for Iowa State though. That kind of extension would be laughably premature for most programs.
Does it really change much? Without knowing the size of a new buyout, it isn’t likely to stop an NFL team if they want him or he is interested. Same if for whatever reason an Ohio State type program came in. It mostly locks out a Michigan State type program doing a Arkansas/Bielema move, but he doesn’t really seem interested in that.

He’s by far their most successful coach in decades, possibly ever. Without cause, he’d have to have like 30 losses over the next three seasons to realistically be fired.

Maybe they have four straight 6/7 win seasons and get tired of him at that point, but the timeline isn’t really altered by this. You’re paying a little more at a time when things are tight, but last season is going to have a revenue, plus that’s just the cost of doing business.

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
Does it really change much? Without knowing the size of a new buyout, it isn’t likely to stop an NFL team if they want him or he is interested. Same if for whatever reason an Ohio State type program came in. It mostly locks out a Michigan State type program doing a Arkansas/Bielema move, but he doesn’t really seem interested in that.

He’s by far their most successful coach in decades, possibly ever. Without cause, he’d have to have like 30 losses over the next three seasons to realistically be fired.

Maybe they have four straight 6/7 win seasons and get tired of him at that point, but the timeline isn’t really altered by this. You’re paying a little more at a time when things are tight, but last season is going to have a revenue, plus that’s just the cost of doing business.
The reality that 9-3 is the ceiling for him in Ames vs getting a better job before his iron cools is his main dilemma.

thrawn

Reaction score
The reality that 9-3 is the ceiling for him in Ames vs getting a better job before his iron cools is his main dilemma.
do you think potential employers wouldn’t weigh degree of difficulty in considering a hire?

ISUFan98

Reaction score
The biggest benefit of the extension is the money for assistants and an almost certain large jump in the buyout for anyone looking to hire him. He was already making $3.6M a year, but I can't imagine he's going to get a significant raise above that, maybe $4-$4.25. He's pretty close to the top of what ISU could afford to pay a head football coach.

Campbell made the B12 championship, won a NY6 bowl for the first time in the history of the program and has most of that team returning next year, including a three year starting QB and a Heisman candidate at RB. If that's not worth extending, then nothing is.

Reactions: BBK

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
The biggest benefit of the extension is the money for assistants and an almost certain large jump in the buyout for anyone looking to hire him. He was already making $3.6M a year, but I can't imagine he's going to get a significant raise above that, maybe $4-$4.25. He's pretty close to the top of what ISU could afford to pay a head football coach.

Campbell made the B12 championship, won a NY6 bowl for the first time in the history of the program and has most of that team returning next year, including a three year starting QB and a Heisman candidate at RB. If that's not worth extending, then nothing is.
If he goes 7-5 will there be fans complaining about the record?

ClintWalker

Once visited Minnesota
Reaction score
Of course. Like I said, it's a characteristic of all sports fans. I lost track of how many family members bitched about Ferentz's salary.

But longevity and continuity are good things in CFB.
True, it's simply going to feel odd when ISU fans complain about 7-5.

newsbreaker

Got the top grade in his torts class
Reaction score
Extending him is obvious, with all the typical potential issues attached thereto. His recruiting borders on bad, which makes it even harder to sustain success than it would be otherwise. They have no clue how quickly “NY6” appearances fade into the rear view.

He’s not leaving, because he’s a stupid human. They’re going to end up firing him and starting all over, eventually

hawkeyealum

Subscribes to Playboy for the articles
Reaction score
Perhaps but his recruiting and coaching are good enough to win in this current state of B12 football

newsbreaker

Reaction score
Perhaps but his recruiting and coaching are good enough to win in this current state of B12 football
Is it? The best season in school history just coincided with the worst class in the league.

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Reaction score
Oklahoma won the conference and will be better next year. Texas hired a good defensive coordinator and is more talented than ISU. They will likely lose 4 games next year.

ISUFan98

Reaction score
Oklahoma won the conference and will be better next year. Texas hired a good defensive coordinator and is more talented than ISU. They will likely lose 4 games next year.
So 9-4 then? That would still be in the top 5 of ISU seasons all-time.

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
Perfect storm for them last year. They were able to avoid the covid issues which allowed them to have a full slate of games. Which inflated their record and stats comparatively.

They were gifted a NY6 situation they wouldn't have sniffed in a regular season with that resume.

Its good for them that they have their team back to try and make another run. But the big 12 will probably be better and the other leagues will be better situated. We will see, alot of pressure on them to recreate close to what they did last year.

newsbreaker

Reaction score
So 9-4 then? That would still be in the top 5 of ISU seasons all-time.
Are ISU fans going to be happy with that? They think they've arrived at some level of national prominence.

9-4 has them in the Alamo some years, a very rare NY6 appearance, and often in lower-tier bowls. Is that going to be enough for a fanbase that thought Brock Purdy was a Heisman candidate?

ISUFan98

Reaction score
Are ISU fans going to be happy with that? They think they've arrived at some level of national prominence.

9-4 has them in the Alamo some years, a very rare NY6 appearance, and often in lower-tier bowls. Is that going to be enough for a fanbase that thought Brock Purdy was a Heisman candidate?
I can't speak for others, but given where this program was, that's good enough for me.

CamelTones

Has Shoved A Live Shrimp Up His Ass
Reaction score
I can't speak for others, but given where this program was, that's good enough for me.
It seems fine when you look at it objectively. But that's like an Iowa fan saying they would be happy if this basketball team wins 1 NCAA tournament game. 10 years ago, sure. In the moment, you're opinion will be much different.

Orestes

Invisible
Reaction score
They're just trolling real football programs, right? Right?

Can you imagine calling 1986 an "historic season" for Iowa that needed to be commemorated with a hardback book? Or 2008?

The Full Monte

Does Weirdo Fat Guy Shit
Reaction score
They're just trolling real football programs, right? Right?

Can you imagine calling 1986 an "historic season" for Iowa that needed to be commemorated with a hardback book? Or 2008?
This sort of feels like the Nick Saban recruiting speech that was leaked a couple weeks ago. “When other schools tell you that you can play right away here and you’ll have to sit there, they’re basically admitting that they aren’t as good.”

Putting out a commemorative book after a season like that is basically a tacit admission that you’ve got a dogshit tradition as a program

cloudhawk

Special
Reaction score
Lol- well yeah....can you imagine most schools trying to recruit by saying they are as good as Alabama.

Harlan

Drinks liquor with a straw
Reaction score

Campbell made the B12 championship, won a NY6/Alamo bowl for the first time in the history of the program and has most of that team returning next year, including a three year starting QB and a Heisman candidate at RB. If that's not worth extending, then nothing is.