**Official Iowa vs. Washington Football Thread - 8:00pm - FOX/FS1**

Dr. Zaius

IS A DOCTOR
Joined
Jan 11, 2012
Messages
20,138
Reaction score
7,535
If Ohio St passed to Smith every single play, I think they still would have been fine. That guy is a freak and essentially unguardable.
 

Verbal

The Brave Little Poster
Joined
Dec 5, 2007
Messages
34,709
Reaction score
2,925
Ohio State will probably win the national championship. The Texas loss was a complete fluke. Beating them was always a longshot. Every other game on the schedule is winnable, and I'm excited to see how many we can get.
 

BBK

THE GRINGOOOOO
Joined
Dec 8, 2009
Messages
98,275
Reaction score
52,061
Hank was clearly better than Heck against NIU, and Heck was clearly better than Hank against tOSU.

I don't think it really matters who we start, but I'd love to see Heck get the start against UW. I kind of hope Hank is hurt so we can see what we've got with Heck
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,655
Reaction score
-14,416
Just work it to a 50/50 share of the early down carries between Moulton/Phillips this week and Phillips will end up taking over. I think that’s more important to the success of Iowa’s offense than Hank vs. Heck. I know I’ve been insufferable with the “Moulton sucks” takes lately, but Phillips looked capable the other day. Have to go to him more.
 

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
98,056
Reaction score
37,549
Just work it to a 50/50 share of the early down carries between Moulton/Phillips this week and Phillips will end up taking over. I think that’s more important to the success of Iowa’s offense than Hank vs. Heck. I know I’ve been insufferable with the “Moulton sucks” takes lately, but Phillips looked capable the other day. Have to go to him more.
More Phillips and Jackson, imo.
 

Revolver

Will Ruin Your Thread and Crush Your Dreams
Joined
Jan 4, 2011
Messages
32,655
Reaction score
-14,416
More Phillips and Jackson, imo.
Even work McNeal in there. Less Moulton is all I really want to see. I don’t give a shit if it is a committee between Phillips, Jackson, and McNeal. Just run the ball effectively and while Kamari seems to be a good teammate, good person, and a good running back against directional schools, he doesn’t cut it in the Big Ten. He never has and he never will.
 

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
98,056
Reaction score
37,549
Hank was clearly better than Heck against NIU, and Heck was clearly better than Hank against tOSU.

I don't think it really matters who we start, but I'd love to see Heck get the start against UW. I kind of hope Hank is hurt so we can see what we've got with Heck
I feel bad for rooting for this, but I do too.
 

ChipHilton

Hawkeye Historian
Joined
May 24, 2008
Messages
8,452
Reaction score
-281
Even work McNeal in there. Less Moulton is all I really want to see. I don’t give a shit if it is a committee between Phillips, Jackson, and McNeal. Just run the ball effectively and while Kamari seems to be a good teammate, good person, and a good running back against directional schools, he doesn’t cut it in the Big Ten. He never has and he never will.
I continue to be mystified by this. He hasn't been a back to break 60 yarders, but he has consistently been a back to get 8 or 9 out of 3. I do wonder what the deal is with McNeil.

Coming off of injury last year, he got 3 carries against a directional and these against Big 10 and SEC:
Rutgers- 14 for 68- 4.9
IU- 18 for 72 - 4.2 (Lotta big holes in that one?)
UW- 15 for 96- 6.4
Minn- 15 for 75- 5.0
Ore- 23 for 87- 3.8 (ran tough with nothing)
USC- 15 for 90- 6.0
MSU- 18 for 78- 4.3
Neb- 18 for 93- 5.2
Van- 14 for 95- 6.8
 

Lee Beevers

5'9" But Claims To Be Taller
Joined
Jan 25, 2013
Messages
9,501
Reaction score
16,055
I continue to be mystified by this. He hasn't been a back to break 60 yarders, but he has consistently been a back to get 8 or 9 out of 3. I do wonder what the deal is with McNeil.

Coming off of injury last year, he got 3 carries against a directional and these against Big 10 and SEC:
Rutgers- 14 for 68- 4.9
IU- 18 for 72 - 4.2 (Lotta big holes in that one?)
UW- 15 for 96- 6.4
Minn- 15 for 75- 5.0
Ore- 23 for 87- 3.8 (ran tough with nothing)
USC- 15 for 90- 6.0
MSU- 18 for 78- 4.3
Neb- 18 for 93- 5.2
Van- 14 for 95- 6.8
Does this mean @Revolver is a liar and scumbag?
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,318
Reaction score
28,002
I continue to be mystified by this. He hasn't been a back to break 60 yarders, but he has consistently been a back to get 8 or 9 out of 3. I do wonder what the deal is with McNeil.

Coming off of injury last year, he got 3 carries against a directional and these against Big 10 and SEC:
Rutgers- 14 for 68- 4.9
IU- 18 for 72 - 4.2 (Lotta big holes in that one?)
UW- 15 for 96- 6.4
Minn- 15 for 75- 5.0
Ore- 23 for 87- 3.8 (ran tough with nothing)
USC- 15 for 90- 6.0
MSU- 18 for 78- 4.3
Neb- 18 for 93- 5.2
Van- 14 for 95- 6.8
I've heard a couple of people say this about McNeil now, but there isn't any deal with him. It's simple math, they can play roughly 3 RB's and after the UNI game they decided (correctly) to give his carries and also returns to Jackson because of how explosive he was.

Jackson rewarded them with a 100 yard TD return against Michigan and then against Ohio State got a TD while showing a burst to get to the outside on that TD that none of the others remotely have.

If it weren't for Jackson, then McNeil would still be playing. I like McNeil, he's got talent, but unfortunately for him it's a numbers game and the guy who was behind him turns out to be a freak athlete with vision that is a threat to hit a homerun every single time he touches the ball.
 

douglasbader

Said Tom Brady's Career Was Over in 2008
Joined
Aug 3, 2008
Messages
134,318
Reaction score
28,002
If Moulton isn't healthy, then it would be great to see LJ Phillips act as the smash mouth RB and Jackson get 8-10 carries a game along with touches in space with the passing game.
 

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
17,733
Reaction score
12,602
Lester somehow has taken one of the deepest positions on the team and made them meaningless. No clue how 5-6 carries is going to get anyone in a rhythm.
Friday night should be 40 carries for the RBs.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BBK

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
17,733
Reaction score
12,602
I get that Tim wants/needs Tony to put up good numbers to make it easier to get more Tony’s but after 3 games vs P4 teams it’s obvious that their best shot at winning games is running it a shit ton, punting & playing defense like it always is.
 
  • Like
Reactions: BBK

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,955
Reaction score
3,215
I get that Tim wants/needs Tony to put up good numbers to make it easier to get more Tony’s but after 3 games vs P4 teams it’s obvious that their best shot at winning games is running it a shit ton, punting & playing defense like it always is.
Oh my god lol.
 

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Nov 20, 2017
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
1,890
I get that Tim wants/needs Tony to put up good numbers to make it easier to get more Tony’s but after 3 games vs P4 teams it’s obvious that their best shot at winning games is running it a shit ton, punting & playing defense like it always is.
I don't think that's what Lester is trying to do, lol.

Receivers were open against Ohio State and Hank was off by about a couple feet on most throws. If he is accurate, then you see a bunch more completed passes, first downs, and my guess is the running game would have opened up a bit. This was truly an execution issue in the first half against OSU. That and fumbling the ball at about the 12 yard line and giving them an easy touchdown to start the game.
 

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
17,733
Reaction score
12,602
I don't think that's what Lester is trying to do, lol.

Receivers were open against Ohio State and Hank was off by about a couple feet on most throws. If he is accurate, then you see a bunch more completed passes, first downs, and my guess is the running game would have opened up a bit. This was truly an execution issue in the first half against OSU. That and fumbling the ball at about the 12 yard line and giving them an easy touchdown to start the game.
He literally said he was going to
 

Shawneemicks

Has said plenty of things dumber than this
Joined
Feb 20, 2012
Messages
17,733
Reaction score
12,602
Well that plan would work if Hank would have been accurate. Guys were open. A lot.
I don’t disagree and the OSU game was definitely the one game to be aggressive and take chances so I don’t really even count that one for much. Anyone think Hank is 60-65% completions from here out? I don’t. And that’s the number Tim has said himself
 

AZmessDAWG

Loved and Defended The Criminal Until the Bitter End
Joined
Sep 21, 2009
Messages
45,955
Reaction score
3,215
I don’t disagree and the OSU game was definitely the one game to be aggressive and take chances so I don’t really even count that one for much. Anyone think Hank is 60-65% completions from here out? I don’t. And that’s the number Tim has said himself
Up until last week he had been.
 

Thomas Wolsey

Likes Your Post
Joined
Oct 16, 2017
Messages
29,455
Reaction score
30,419
Well that plan would work if Hank would have been accurate. Guys were open. A lot.
Hank was bad. Really bad. He just missed 6-7 throws when he made good reads to wide open guys. I actually liked some of the screen/ read plays, they just needed to convert a few 1st downs so they could run the ball again.
 

Saul Berkley

Might Need to GFH
Joined
Nov 20, 2017
Messages
1,461
Reaction score
1,890
Hank was bad. Really bad. He just missed 6-7 throws when he made good reads to wide open guys. I actually liked some of the screen/ read plays, they just needed to convert a few 1st downs so they could run the ball again.
Yep. I don't think Lester's plan was bad. Guys were open on 8-10 yard routes and had those been completed, could have opened up the run game a bit.
 

Gushawk

Likely a Russian Bot Account
Joined
Aug 23, 2007
Messages
98,056
Reaction score
37,549
We needed 4 quarters of 4th Quarter Michigan Hank and got 3+ quarters of 4th Quarter Indiana Stank.

Hope the gritty little gunslinger gets his shot on Friday, and doesn't miss his chance to blow.
 

Fritz Fequiere

something feels off when he has sex with his wife.
Joined
May 15, 2014
Messages
2,240
Reaction score
-1,126
I for one hope the 5'11 non-running QB whose best offer out of high school was Wake Forest isn't forced into action.
 

26.2

Vacations at the Wisconsin Dells
Joined
Aug 2, 2017
Messages
18,413
Reaction score
5,993
Old Turdz will be ripping some beers at Duchess Tavern before stumbling down to the stadium. Solid old school UW sports bar. You Iowa folk would like it.
I can't think of a worse place to go in that area LOL. Unless you're poor and under 30. But enjoy!
 
Top